Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Relatively new black ink cartridge (HP) but the printing

Customer Question
have bands at irregular intervals...
Relatively new black ink cartridge (HP) but the printing have bands at irregular intervals that are blurred or not there. How do I get it to check itself?
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: HP Officejet 4630
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC which just came back from servicing for malware
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just since I re-hooked up the computer and started to work on it yesterday. Before this all was great! By the way I tried taking out the cartridge and reinsertingit and the whole print job is either blank or has the line issue
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: can't think of anything
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Printers
11/17/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 25 days ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
How do I get to the maintenance/setup menu. I do not see it on the small display window or I would have done that already
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Forget it - you just want money and I didn't want the spend more that the required $5 in the first place. How do I get my $23 back?

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

Please give me a few moments to send a detailed response.

The menu is right on the front of the printer, you need to press the down arrow to scroll to the next page, there are multiple pages of options there,

arrow down until you get to Tools, then to Clean Printhead

Nathan, Engineer