Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have a MX492 printer at home. Just changed the ink

Customer Question
hi. I have a...
hi. I have a MX492 printer at home. Just changed the ink cartridges but I don't understand why it's printing in different colors from the ones I have on my computer screen
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: Canon MX492. Cartridges are 245XL for Black and 246XL for color
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: used to be normal. Not sure when it started as I was away on a business trip so my wife or kids could have changed something. I've been having the issue since Monday
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm good
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Printers
11/17/2017
Technician: Josh, Technician replied 25 days ago
Josh, Technician

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Have you tried a print head cleaning?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
ok great
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Nope
How do you do that?
  1. Make sure that the power is turned on.

2. Press the Setup button, use the arrow buttons to select Maintenance, then press the OK button.

3. Use the arrow buttons to select Cleaning, then press the OK button

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
ok let me try
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
in process
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
ok done. Try one page to see if I get the right colors? Or do something else?

Yes, try to print now.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
no change. Cyan is cyan, purple is purple, but green is now blue and burgundy is something that I don't know the name of

Did you have that issue before replacing the ink?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
nope. first time. But when I replaced it I think it was fine for the first few days. The issue showed up this week

Run the print head cleaning two more times

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
ok. give me a few minutes

Sure; take your time.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
once it's done print again?

Yes, please.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
the cleaning was really fast this time. Printing starting

Let me know how it goes

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
sorry but no change

How old is the printer?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
a year old maybe

Over or under a year old?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
over

Unfortunately, the error that you are experiencing is an internal failure which would require repair/replacement. The bad news is that your printer is outside of warranty and it would cost more to repair the printer than to buy a new one. You can purchase a new one for around $50-$60 at a local electronics store such as Best Buy.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
seriously? The color mistakes is a sign that this is headed to the garbage bin? I am not disputing it, just that I am surprised. I just thought it was something minor. Could you please give me a bit more of context in terms of how these home printers work?

The carriage that the ink sits in can fail and if it fails, it can either not send any ink through it or it can make the colors skewed. To replace the print head, it will cost around the same price as a new printer or more.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
wow. Thanks. Any tips on disposing the printer?

You're welcome -- I apologize that I had to deliver the bad news to you. Please understand that we do not like to deliver bad news because our rating on the site is based on the feedback of our customers so bad news situations are difficult to deal with. Thankfully, a large majority of our customers are understanding that we are just messengers in the situation and do not take it out on the rating system.

The printer can be thrown away or you can take it into a Best Buy and they can dispose of it for you.

Technician: Josh, Technician replied 24 days ago

Hello!

I just wanted to take a moment to check back with you to see if you need more assistance. If you are all set, I would appreciate it if you could take a moment to rate my service with 5 stars, at the top of the page. If you need further assistance, just let me know using the reply box provided so we can work together to solve the issue.

Thank you!

Josh, Technician