Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Black won't print, although it says it has 85% ink. OKI

Customer Question
Black won't print, although...

Black won't print, although it says it has 85% ink

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

OKI C5150, don't know how old

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Mac 10.6.8

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

About a week. It started printing with a streak, then lighter, now no black. Before when I shook the toner it would work but no more.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Printers
11/16/2017
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago
Suhasini Velu

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago

Have you tried any troubleshooting so far with the printer?

Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago

Is this problem occurs during self-tests (prints generated by the printer itself, and ordered by its own controls) or when you try to print from your devices?

If you get the same outcome on both regards, ***** ***** have a problem in your black ink portion of your printer's system.

If you changed the black toner cartridge for a new one recently, of the proper type for your printer, and if you removed the tape etc. from the toner cartridge, properly and according to the installation instructions, then you should check whether the previous cartridge was leaking toner into its part of the printer.

Like I said, at first shaking the black cartridge fixed the problem, But now it doesn't. I printed printer generated pages to see if they had the problem and they had smeared printing. In other device printing the black doesn't print at all now. So they seem to be different but both have a problem.
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago

Have you checked whether there is any toner leakage in the black cartridge, or black drum, area of the printer's innards? any sign of toner leakage, presence of toner?

There was some toner scattered around, particularly after I began shaking it. I cleaned what I could. I now don't think the toner is coming out of the black cartridge even though it says it's 85% full. It doesn't have a pile of toner below it like the others. I don't have another cartridge to replace it but I have ordered one.
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago

Even though the problem persists only with the black ink cartridge, have you tried cleaning the printhead on the printer once?

I don't know what that is
I don't know what that is. I looked it up but I can't see what the arrows pointing to in the illustration which is not my exact printer. Do I have four of them coming down from the top?
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago

1. Turn OFF the power of the printer.

2. Open the top cover by pressing the OPEN button.

Note: The fuser unit is extremely hot. Do not touch it

3. Wipe lightly the four lens surfaces of the LED head with the LED lens cleaner or a soft

tissue paper.

Note: Do not use methyl alcohol, paint thinner or any other solvent, since they damage the

LED head.

4. Close the top cover.

Please follow these steps to clean the head. Following the cleaning process, try to print and let me know if that works.

That DID help! Now there's just one vertical light streak about 3/8 inch
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago

Please try to clean the head 3 times again and let me know if the quality of the print improves

Still has the streak now it has another streak on the right
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago

May I know how many times you tried cleaning the head?

3
Are you saying you can fix the streaks by remotely connecting? You can do something that is not physical? Or you're going to be able to tell me to do something else?
2 concerns: there is no pile of toner below the back cartridge like there is below the other cartridges. Some toner may have slipped down below the Image drum. Could either of these things be a problem?
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago

Have you cleaned the image drum or touched it or expose it to light?

I took it out when I was looking to clean stray toner
I took it out when I was looking to clean stray toner. Did that hurt it? I did it twice for about one minute each.
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago

I cannot conclude that either the print head or the image drum are defective. But the symptoms say so. It would be better if the printer is checked by a service technician