Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an HP 5540. I can print from my Dell laptop when

Customer Question
I have an HP...

I have an HP 5540. I can print from my Dell laptop when printing my bank statement, but I can't print an attachment to an email. The troubleshooter says the printer isn't connected. I want to print a ticket attached to an email I received today.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your HP? And what operating system are you running?

Windows 10, the printer is an Envy 5540.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Not that I know of.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2017
Technician: Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 months ago
Ricky Expert
Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Please try downloading the attachment to your computer first, and printing it from there.

I did that...now what?

Can you open the file you downloaded and print?

Why do I want to do that? The original connection said it would cost $5.00 and be refunded. Then you charged me $47.00 and now you want another $39.00???

That is just an automatic pop-up you can ignore it. The deposit is $5 and then the system puts a price on the question once it determines the value.

ok any idea why I can't print out my ticket?

So you downloaded the attachment to your computer already? When you open the file from where you downloaded it can you print it from there?

The attachment came with an email I received today. I opened it and clicked print and it goes into the queue but the troubleshooter says the printer is not connected. As I said before, the printer is on and connected and prints my online bank statement no problem. My printer is on and connected to my wifi as I went thru the sequence for that connection.

Okay, open the attachment but don't click print. Click download to save it to your computer. Then open it from the downloaded file and try to print it from there.

I tried it twice and it does the same thing. I get a pop up "progress not responding"..."flattening 98%" then it just sits there.

Okay, when you go to print, go to Advanced Print Settings and select Print as Image.

Tried that twice....it still says "progress (not responding) then that pop up goes away.

How many pages is it?

Just one...it's a ticket.
It's not the first time, this has been happening for quite a while now.....I just haven't got an answer yet.

This usually only happens with large PDFs that have several pages. Usually it is fixed by printing as an image. You could try converting it to a .DOC file using this website and that may allow it to print: http://pdf2doc.com/

This is getting way to complicated just to print out a simple attachment. I didn't have the problem when I first got this printer so there must be a bug in my laptop software. I already pay for Geek Squad and I have to quit in ten minutes anyway. Can I get my refund? If I can't find the answer I'll come back to you guys. (HP Help sent me to you.)

Okay, no problem, Have a great day.