Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Epson XP 420 won't scan - get msg saying "communication

Hi, Epson XP 420...

Hi, Epson XP 420 won't scan - get msg saying "communication error, connect computer"

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I only bought it 6 months ago, brand new from a retailer. It's an XP-420 Series

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Sorry, it's a wireless printer/copier/scanner

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It's connected to a Mac. Only tried to scan for the first time yesterday & discovered the problem. I scrolled along the front panel screen & selected scan. Then selected Scan To Computer WSD. It said "no computer found" So I tried Scan To Computer (JPeg) & that's when I got the error msg

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No, that's all, thanks

11/16/2017
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer

Hello. I am pleased to assist you today. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

It is a common problem for all-in-one printers to lose their scanner connection while retaining their printer connection. There are no separate scanner drivers; the multi-function printer drivers control both the printer and scanner functions. The solution to your problem is to reinstall the drivers. I can show you how to do this. Please let me know when you are ready to continue.

Hi Joel, I'm ready to continue. I have to computers in my household that utilise this scanner, do I just follow the same steps for the other computer when I've finished connecting this one?
Sorry - that should read "2 computers"
Hello? Joel?

Are they both macs?

they are.

Yes, the procedure will be the same.

Great. I'm ready to continue whenever you are.

We can do this interactively. However, I have the entire procedure written out. I can give it all to you at once, or interactively. It's up to you.

I'm happy just to get the entire procedure & then follow the steps myself

This is the installation procedure. Each step must be done in the order given in order for the process to work. This thorough method that I have developed always works. First, please do the following:

Do you have other working printers installed on your computer? [If so, you may skip the first step.]

Reset Printing System - If there are no other printers installed on the mac, the printing system should be reset, in order to guaranty a clean installation. Use Apple icon in the top-left corner of your screen to select System Preferences. Open the Printers & Scanners window. Hold the CTRL key down and use your mouse to click anywhere in the space on the left side of the printer window. Then select Reset Printing System on the menu. [If that does not work, hold the CTRL key down and click on any printer listed there. [Skip the next step.]

Remove Print Server Icons

Remove only the print server icons for the printer that is not working, and skip resetting the printing system. [If it becomes necessary, It may have to be done later, followed by a reinstallation of the other printers to restore them.]

Uninstall Printer Software - Use Finder to open the Applications folder and locate the subfolder for your printer. Drag the entire folder into the Trash folder. [If you do not uninstall the software, your computer will just reinstall the drivers from the hard drive instead of from the external source.]

Restart Computer System - Use the Apple icon to restart your computer operating system. You can rejoin this conversation by selecting the link in your notification email.

Download Printer Software - Select the following link to download the Drivers & Utilities Combo Package for your printer and operating system:

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/XP-Series/Epson-XP-420/s/SPT_C11CD86201

Install Printer Software - If you do not see a Run button, use your Finder to locate the downloaded printer file in the Downloads or Devices folder. Use the select button on the mouse to select the heading on the Date column and sort the download files by date, so that the required file is at the top of the list. Select the file to open it, and follow the prompts to install the software.

If the download is not there, it may be in the Active Objects folder, or look for a block representation of it at the bottom of your screen, right above the Dock.

Print Test Page - Use Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen to select System Preferences. Open the Printers & Scanners window. Highlight the print server icon for your printer and use the menu button on your mouse to open the Print Properties menu. Select the Print Test Page button in the Printer Properties dialog box.

If the printer icon is not there, use the +Add Printer link and follow the prompts to install the printer driver.

If you have any additional questions or problems, please let me know, so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. My goal is to provide you with the best possible customer service. If you are satisfied with my advice, please take a moment to rate my services after you have completed the procedure.

Can this also be done using the original installation disc that came with the printer? Or is it more advisable to use the link to reinstall the drivers?

It is better to use the link and get the latest updates. Sometimes the drivers sit on the shelf for a long time after they are loaded onto the disks. I bought two identical printers from HP, and the software on one of the disks worked, the other one was so far out of date for the Windows 8 operating system that it did not work. Consequently, I had to use the download, which worked fine.

Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer
Okay, will do. Thanks for your help Joel - much appreciated!

Thank you so much for the Excellent rating. I will still be here to support you if you have any problems implementing the procedure. Theis question will stay open for one week. Have a wonderful day!