Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Repeated paper jams. Brother mfc-8810dw. It's not the

Customer Question
Repeated paper jams Technician's...

Repeated paper jams

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

Brother mfc-8810dw

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

It's not the computer because the jams are happening when copying also

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

We were printing a bunch of things last Thurs & there was a rear jam, which was removed. When I removed the paper, it looked like a small corner stayed in the printer. After that, the machine made repeated loud clacking sounds from the back. After turning the machine off, the loud clacking stopped, but jams keep happening almost every time the machine is used, especially if I try printing duplex. Seems to work a little better when using the manual front feed. We've used it very little since last Thurs

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

There are no unusual sounds now. The machine is 4 years old. I recently replaced the drum & cartridge with a non-brother drum & cartridge, LX-Tek. Printing quality has been somewhat blurry & we experienced many more jams. Also, I replaced the knock-off drum & cartridge with an old Brother drum & cartridge to see if that fixed the problem. It didn't.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
11/15/2017
Technician: Joel Kalman, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer

Hello. I am pleased to assist you today. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

ok...
I don't think remotely connecting is going to solve this. Do you have an answer or need more info?

It will be necessary to clear the small piece of paper that tore off the corner of the paper jam from the paper path before you printer will function correctly. It is best to disconnect the power cable and turn the printer on its side. Then use a small, bright flashlight to locate the foreign matter and a tweezer or long-nosed pliers to remove it.

Your performance has been degraded by using a non-Brother drum toner cartridge. You reported that the print is blurry and the printer is more susceptible to jamming. I recommend that you replace the drum and toner cartridge with genuine Brother parts ASAP.

I too am an engineer & already inspected everything visible with a flashlight. If I could see anything in the printer, I would have already removed the paper. Nothing is visible.

Okay. No more loud noises when feeding the paper from the front?

There have been no loud noises at all since turning the copier off & back on when the problem forst arose last Thursday.

What is your question?