Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have and hp Envy 7640 when I am trying to install it it…

Customer Question
Hi I have and...

Hi I have and hp Envy 7640 when I am trying to install it it asks for my wps pin and says that I will find it in the paperwork I do not have the paperwork what can I enter>

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

1 TO 2 YEARS

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Pc

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Oh mom says she has had the printer for 3 years

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No that is it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
11/15/2017
Technician: SorenX, Technician replied 8 months ago
SorenX
SorenX, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today!

It sounds like it's asking for your wireless network password. Do you have that information?

No
What shoul I fo

Okay, do you have a Windows computer that is currently connected to your wireless network?.

Okay, you may be able to retrieve the password ***** that computer.

Can you tell me what version of Windows it's running?

Are you still with me?

I am looking for it

If you can tell me what version of Windows you're running I may be able to give you instructions on how to retrieve the password.

Windows 10

Okay, give me just a few minutes to get some instructions for you.

Ok

Okay, try following these steps:

1. Click on the Start button in the lower left corner.

2. Click on the Settings/Gear icon on the left side of the Start menu.

3. When the settings Window opens, click on Network and Internet, and then Network and Sharing Center at the bottom on the next screen.

4. When the Network and Sharing Center window opens, under "View your active networks," on the right-hand side you should see the name of your network in blue. Click on that.

5. On the next screen, click on Wireless Properties. Then click on the Security tab at the top.

6. Under where it says Network Security Key, click the checkbox that says Show characters. It should then show you the security key.

Tell me once you've gotten that far.

Ok I am there

Okay, that security key should be what the printer is looking for.

Go ahead and try that and tell me what happens.

It didn’t wotk

Okay, are you only planning on printing from one computer or from multiple computers?

One computer

Okay, if you're only planning on printing from one machine, what you'll probably need to do is connect the printer via a printer cable and bypass the wireless configuration. Do you have a USB printer cable?

Thanks for your help bye

No problem, happy to help! I take it you saw my suggestion on going via a printer cable?

Before leaving this page, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer 3 STARS or better so that I receive credit for assisting you. Just click to rate.