Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My printer will connect to wi-fi and work for me, but does…

Customer Question
Hi, my printer will...

Hi, my printer will connect to wi-fi and work for me, but does not STAY connected, so I'm having to manually connect wi-fi (type in password) each time I go to print, after the printer has been idle for a little while. can i keep it connected?!

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

Brother MFC-J485DW it's about a year or so

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Mac OS X 10.10.5

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

We have not used it much - it works great once the wi-fi is connecte

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

What is "WPS/AOSS" vs. "WLAN Assistant" vs. "Set up Wizard"?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
11/14/2017
Technician: Jason Jones, Technician replied 8 months ago
Jason Jones, Technician

I look forward to helping you today.

When the disconnection occurs, must you enter the wif-fi password ***** the printer itself or on the computer?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.
Thank you,
Jason

on the printer itself

Thank you for the update. May I connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? When the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate back and forth via a chat window that will appear on your computer screen.

ok, i moved the printer to another spot in my house where i thought the wi-fi might be better. the printer worked! and the issue before regarding the fact that i had to put in my wi-fi password ***** the printer EACH TIME i printed seems to be fixed.if it stops working for me in the next few days can i contact you?

Yes, you can most definitely contact me later, if need be.

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

- Jason

no, i will not be charged more than the $18, correct?

That is correct. It was the $18 plus the $5 deposit.

ok, there will not be further payments for any type of subscription, or anything recurring, correct?

You are only charged subscription fees, if you signed up for a subscription.

I don't think did that. Thanks for your help.

You are most welcome. Thank you for your time and patience.

In the future, if you need any help with anything in the categories below, please let me know.

On this website, I am an expert in each of the following categories listed below:
- Computer
- Networking
- Mac
- Printer
- Cell Phones
- E-Readers
- Android Devices
- Laptop
- Computer Hardware
- Software
- Email
- Microsoft Office
- Smartphones
- Office Equipment
- Programming
- Consumer Electronics

In the future, if you wish to work with me, ***** *****, you may ask your question at the following page that you may bookmark/favorite, if you wish. To be sure that it is sent to me, preface the question with -For ***** ***** Only!-

My Profile Page:

http://JasonFixedit.com

Hi again,
My printer is now set up right next to our router and it worked just fine for a full day. The next day it didn’t work again. The next day, it only worked when I printed from my Google cloud. And it did work from my husband’s laptop. So, I’m wondering how to get it to work consistently for my Mac.
Technician: Jason Jones, Technician replied 7 months ago

ok, I can do that

Thank you. Let's begin the remote help session now.

Follow the instructions below to begin the remote helping screen.

Remote page: http://remote.jasonfixedit.com

After clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 76
- And then click the circle button to start the remote application.
(After the file finishes downloading, please open the file and run it.)

I guess I don't feel comfortable with letting anyone access my computer remotely. Is there any advice you can give me to help get the printer working?

I understand. I have remotely connected to computers scores of thousands of times with no problems, but I understand.

Is the printer not working for any computer on the network now?

It's not working for any computer. I wonder if it's a wifi problem. My router and cable/tv and computer (with working wifi) are all next to each other in the same room. Everything else seems to be working but the router has slight blinks but mostly the lights are all on steadily. I've checked and the computer is on the same network as the printer. There are no errors mentioned anywhere, it just says the printer is offline and it's not connected.
I just deleted the printer and reloaded the printer driver to my computer. It now works.
Can you advise why it would stop and start like this?

There are literally hundreds of reasons why this may happen.

Do you want to test it out for a few days and report back with the status of the problem?

sure. thanks

Thank you