Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have just recently place black cartridge in my printer and…

Customer Question
I have just recently...

I have just recently place black cartridge in my printer and I have tried to print out a sheet tonight--the cartridge is full--it is not printing--it is a new cartridge that was delivered to me--I have the cartridges that are delivered to my home--have had great luck-however--the black is not working for me--I am a prof and have to be able to print student work...I do not know what is happening--I am not sure if it is the cartridge or the printer--help

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?

HP Office Jet Pro 6968 --It hasn't been my most favorite printer from HP

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Mac

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I just returned from Atlanta and I just now tried to print

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No--I don't believe so

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Is it giving an error message? Or is it going through the motions but outputting a blank page?

no message-going through motions-blank page

Thanks for confirming,

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2015 model printer, it is well into its designed maximum 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

no I didn't realize I would have to pay for a simple answer--- that should have been a comment I was given---I do not wish to deal with this type of situation--- I will leave this site- I'd rather buy a new printer :(
I am disappointed--

That should have been made clear during the payment process that was required when posting your question. Yes, this is a paid support site, it is not free help. HP does not support their products very well and does not offer this type of service, in fact even when new and under warranty they'd charge you $50+ for a phone call, which is why services like this exist. I sent an explanation and steps to take above a few minutes ago.

You agreed to and were charged the corresponding chat fees when posting your question. I'm happy to help further if you need more information, or would like some replacement recommendations if the cleaning does not help.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.