Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have tried everything, but all of a sudden my printer does…

I have tried everything...

I have tried everything, but all of a sudden my printer does not print, it does everything else. The paper comes out blank, and I put in new ink cartridges.

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?

Cannon MG5420

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

About an hr

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

I tried, reinstall of software, I put in new ink, I tried do maintance, and cleaning

11/14/2017
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

A single clean is not enough.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

I will work on cleaning

Thanks, ***** ***** luck!

Nathan, Engineer