Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Support code B200 on An MG 5420. I have a MG 5420 giving me…

Customer Question
Support code B200 on...

Support code B200 on An MG 5420

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, have you double-checked the code? And what is the exact make and model of your machine?

I have a MG 5420 giving me a support code B200... it started when I accidentally got hung up on the power cord, sobI bought a replacemant power supply thinking that's the only component that was stressed when my foot got caught up in the power cord.... Sadly, still giving me B200.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

IPad & iPhones

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I was maneuvering behind it when my foot kicked the power cord.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not really, up to that incident, the little printer never ever gave us a moment of trouble.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
11/13/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately this B200 error indicates a hardware problem,
specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).
The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.
Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,