Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I just bought a Canon MG 3010 printer and having trouble…

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a Canon MG 3010 printer and having trouble connecting to my Apple Macbookair. Apple says I need the follwing:

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

The printer is supposedly brand new. The numbers etc. on the back are as follows: CCAB15LP3720T1; OC5-4376-D314-1933). I need the IP address/host name, printing protocol and model #. Not sure if any of the above are what I need.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

10.13.1

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I just returned to my winter home and need a printer. So I bought a Canon mg3010 yesterday.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Just the info I listed. Then I can chat with Apple to take the next step.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Printers
11/13/2017
Technician: John Lohr, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 5 months ago
John Lohr
John Lohr, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Are you getting an error when trying to connect to the printer?

I have a brand new Canon MG3010 printer. I need the following: IP address/host name; printing protocol; model # for printer. On the back of this printer are the following: CCAB15LP3720T1; OC5-4376-DB01-01; multifunction printer K10446; module WLAN K30365 (RCPCAK314-1933). I don't know how to interpret these and whether they are wheat I need.
***@******.***

Just so I know, what all have you done so far in the setup process?

Don't need to take over my computer. Just tell me how to interpret the above so I can get the Canon MG3010 IP address, printing protocol, and model number.

Please ignore that message as it is automated by the website.

Did you see the question I asked?

Everything except the final connect. Apple macbookair says I need the Canon IP address, printing protocol, and model number so they can help make the final connect. If I had a USB to connect it would be easier, but I don't
Are you still there?

Rather than doing it that way, you could use the Canon setup software to connect it also. Have you installed that?

No I want do it the way Apple Macbook recommended: the 3 data sets I listed. This is very straightforward question you can answer if you know anything about canon printers (I don't)
I don't have a CD player connect to my Appleairbook so I can't use the Canon setup CD

For me to get that information for you I would need to connect to your computer remotely. You can also download the software from the canon website since you do not have a CD Drive. Shall I get you a link to download that?

You don't need to to connect via remote assistance . Just look at the number etc. data sets I sent you and tell me: 1) what is the Canon printer IP address/host name, 2) Printing protocol, 3) model #. If you don't want to do that or don't know how, just say so and I look for answers elsewhere.
I already have the Canon MG3010 driver. What other Canon MG3010 software are you referring to that might tell me what I need to know?

None of the numbers you provided me are the IP address. Printing protocol is not a number, rather it is Airprint, IPP, LPD, or Socket. and the model number should be on the back of the device next to "Model" or "Model Number"

Being that you already have the drivers installed, is the Printer connected to your network already?

No the printer won't connect. Since I don't have a USB cable to connect the printer to my MacBook air, Apple tech support says I need to do it via the Internet address etc. I tried to get it from Canon tech support - they just sent me to my answer. So now I'm in a do loop.

Does your Wireless Router have a button labeled "WPS" ?

Here is the official Canon setup guide. We will need to use the WPS button method since we don't have a CD player to install the CD

http://ugp11.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/Tutorial/MG3000%20series/EN/TRL/Top.html

John, Computer Science Engineer