Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I haven't sent anything to the printer in days and every…

Customer Question
I haven't sent anything...

I haven't sent anything to the printer in days and every time I turn it back on, it prints two blank pages and then jams.

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

It's the MX 490 and it's less than a year old

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Laptop and I believe Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It's been going on ever since I installed the other Canon printer that I purchased a couple of weeks ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Printers
11/13/2017
Technician: IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 5 months ago
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

I am sorry for the issue. You may need to clear the print queue. May I know if you have already done that?

Let me know by typing a reply below. I will work with you on this problem until it has been resolved.

Thanks,

There is nothing in the queue - I already checked that.

OK. Please tell me if your printer is connected to a computer via USB cable or via Wi-Fi connection?

WiFi

Please temporary break the connection between your printer and a computer, and then power on the printer to see if it will continue to print. You can break the connection by either turning off your computer or turning off your Wi-Fi router.

I turned off the WiFi
It’s still doing it

Thanks for the update!

In that case, I suggest resetting the printer back to default settings. Here is how to do it:

1. On your Canon printer, press the Setup button (button that looks like a tools icon)

2. Press the right arrow until you see Device settings, and press OK

3. Press the right arrow until you see Reset setting, and press OK

4. Press the right arrow until you see All data, and press OK

5. Press the left arrow to select Yes, and press OK

6. Wait for the printer to finish the reset - about 1 minute

7. After that, un-plug the printer power cable from the wall outlet and leave it un-plugged for about 5 minutes

8. After that, re-plug it and power it back on. The automatic printing should then be stopped

Let me know the results.

I will go try that

Take your time and let me know if it worked.

It didn’t work but it may be because I have 3 Canon printers

Please follow the instructions on the one that is automatically printing the documents when powered on.

I already did - I will figure it out tomorrow- thx for your help

OK, no problem. If the problem remains, let me know and I will suggest you something else.

Just come back to this same page tomorrow to send me a reply.

Regards,

Now it won't print at all

Hello again! Sorry for the delay in response. I was off-line when you replied.

It looks like there could be several possible causes of the problem, so I suggest we establish a secure remote session so that I can see the problem myself and help you directly.

Let me if you would like that.

Thanks,

IT Miro, Computer Scientist