Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an mx922 and I'm getting the 1403 error message. I…

Customer Question
I have an mx922...

I have an mx922 and I'm getting the 1403 error message. I have removed all the ink cartridges and cleaned all the contacts and cycled power. That didn't fix anything. I removed the printhead, cleaned it all up (not that it was actually dirty), cycled power (unplugged it for 3 to 5 minutes) and I still get the error. Where precisely is this temp sensor

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?

Cannon mx922 and I have cannon cartridges

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Mac running osz 10.6.2. This thing was printing fine yesterday.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

This started today. What happened was that daughter #2, who is in town, got onto my network with her mac laptop and tried to print a return label for something and she got the error. I tried printing something from my machine but that doesn't help if the printer is giving you that error.

Technician's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the Printer Expert more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Don't think so.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Printers
11/12/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it). The error initially comes up when the operating temperature is exceeded, but it isn't a sensor issue it is from the nozzles being clogged and overheating when firing, which then ends up backfeeding voltage that damages the printhead, printhead pcb, and logic board in most cases.

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Bad Language - in English] I don't think I can replace this whole thing (it's a printer/copier/fax) for a paltry $80-100. On the other hand, I have done the clean and reset and that didn't work. Frankly, the print head looks fine. I would like some advice. I don't print much but I do print. The printer is probably 3 years old but I've probably only run through 3 or maybe 4 sets of ink cartridges. I frequently, but not always, just left the machine on even though I wasn't printing. What can I do to prevent one of these devices from rolling over and dying like this?
The infrequent use is actually more detrimental to these printers than regular consistent use. If they go more than about a week without use they start to dry out and clog, which eventually leads to overheating and damage. If you’re in the US you absolutely can find a comparable/better machine for under $100. Using them more consistently can help but realistically you still aren’t going to get a significantly longer lifespan out of them, they just aren’t built for that.If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They
tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably
priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU
Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are
essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish
to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front,
consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C
Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life,
consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for
thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG
while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5