Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a canon mx922 and the black on the photos is

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a canon mx922 and the black on the photos is producing lines. I put in fresh black cartridges but it didn't help. Any suggestions?

Technician's Assistant: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It has started in the last few weeks. The printer is only two years old.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Printing from hp laptop and using Windows 10.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Only a few weeks. Been running and printing photos great.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No that's it.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Printers
11/12/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is well into if not past its designed maximum 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,