Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I replaced the black cartridge on my brother MFC-J410W. test…

Customer Question
I replaced the black...

I replaced the black cartridge on my brother MFC-J410W. test print sheet shows blue and red. trying to print in black only but prints blank page when I take it off color and selcect black.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

Not sure where to find model number. Printer was given to me after my aunt passed away. It hasn't been used in almost a years. installed to my network easy. just cant print anything with using black ink.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC. Windows

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Its new to me so not sure how to answer your question. i know my aunt used it daily before she passed away.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/12/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 5 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

Inkjet printers cannot sit idle for any length of time. If they go more than about a week without use the nozzles quickly dry out and clog up, then when you try to print again they overheat and become permanently damaged. If it has been unused for a year, there is almost no chance it will ever work again.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its designed maximum 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Engineer