Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I installed a new color ink cartridge. It said alignment…

Customer Question
I installed a new...

I installed a new color ink cartridge. It said alignment failed. I took the cartridge out and inserted it again. Then tried again to align cartridges. Report came out with ok black, blue, and red with some white stripes... no yellow. I tried printing several different things... came out either dominant blue, or sort of pink... no yellow, but good enough to give me a copy of what I needed. Each copy seemed to improve, so I ran the alignment again... came out perfect, with yellow. I thought it had fixed itself so I printed an important color document... came out horrible. I ran an alignment age... came out like first time...no yellow, a few white lines in pink, and blue with a big white hole in the middle. What's going on?

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?

Hold on while I get model info. Printer is an HP Officejet 7310 All-in-One. Cartridge is an authentic HP cartridge #97 double pack. I just used the first cartridge, have the other unopened. I always use HP cartridges.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Computer is a Toshiba Portege, running on Windows 7 plus or ultimate or something like that. I am 91 years old and don't know how to find that.;

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I have used it for a long time, never had a problem before. Just started when I put in a new color cartridge.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I thought you were the Printer Expert. I just want know how to get it to print the way it always has. It has been a wonderful printer till I changed the color cartridge.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/12/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2006 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.