Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

It will not completely print documents. It leaves off

Customer Question
It will not completely...

It will not completely print documents. It leaves off portions of the black I am trying to print a bill and tickets for a play

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

HP Photosmart 5520. About 4 years I think

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC But also tried from my MAC neither worked

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Its been about a week or so. Nothing happened. I googled and clicked on your link

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Printers
11/11/2017
Technician: P. Kumar, Information Systems Manager replied 5 months ago
P. Kumar
P. Kumar, Information Systems Manager

Hello Candice,

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

I'm Kumar and I'll assist you today.

Can you please complete the below steps and get back to me.

Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Press and HOLD the Power Button for 60 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

Thanks,

Kumar

Ok I have done that. I am assuming you meant the power button to the printer
That did not fix it. I just tried printing something and all of it did not print.

Okay. Thanks. Can you please remove the cartridges and clean the metal connectors on the cartridges with rubbing alchohol. please clean the print head as well. Please let me know once done.

Thanks,

Kumar

That's done. Now what?

See, the symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head. This often happens just from age, or from not being used often enough, which causes the ink nozzles to dry out and clog, leading to damage when you try to print again.

We have already done the manual cleaning part. Can you please go to the setup option on the printer and run Print Head cleaning

Please note, once you run Print Head cleaning, please run a print out. If you still find issues, my guess it is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is at/past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Thanks,

Kumar

I never found where to clean the printer heads. The troubleshooter on the printer said the USB connection won't work which is bizarre because that hasn't changed. I can't work on this anymore tonight. Can you give me options for new printers or the steps to clean the heads? I will try and do on Monday.

It is also possible your cartridges are bad, or you need new ones. Did you try replacing your ink? Yes, we can try this on Monday as well.

They are new carteudges

The new ink cartridges can also cause problems if they aren't opened properly - there could be some foil/tape on them still preventing the ink from getting out. Can you please check once.

If you are going for a replacement and looking for an inkjet replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They are very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink.

https://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-WF-2660-Wireless-Printer/dp/B00LV8QC2K/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1510442144&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=WorkForce+WF-2660

Thanks,

Kumar

John, Computer Science Engineer