Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a DYMO letratag and keep getting Tap jam. Not sure…

Customer Question
I have a DYMO...

I have a DYMO letratag and keep getting Tap jam

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

Not sure how old, it was one we use at work. I thought I could fix it

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Were do I find make the make and modle number

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Not sure. people just but it back on shelf and when I went to use it it would not work. we thought it was the cartrage so we put a new one in and it still did the same thing

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Also it will not cut any more... but that is least of worrys

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Printers
11/11/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 10 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The Tape Jam message means that the tape is sensed either as not moving along properly, not present, or out of position. Probably an electric-eye type sensor is fouled with debris or dust. I advise you to open up the Letratag, remove the tape that is being printed upon, and then dust out the interior, either by blowing, or by whisking with a clean small brush. Do such a cleaning quite thoroughly and not casually, and you may find the labeler working again.

But, if it is quite old, then it may have simply failed - either through sensor failure or a more extensive circuitry error, I'm sorry to say. In which case either repairing it (doubtful) or replacing it, would make some sense.