Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

It just quit printing and lost all power is there a fuse or…

Customer Question
It just quit printing...

It just quit printing and lost all power is there a fuse or reset some place ? the cord and power plugin are good.it is a mx860

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

The id # is2008DJ4282and another # CE0560

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Pc, windows

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

One day

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No, it was printing a document and it quite in the middle of the print job. I have unplugged the printer and rebooted the computer but nothing happened

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
11/11/2017
Technician: Damian Costa,
 replied 8 months ago
Damian Costa

This was caused by dirty connections on the power cord contacts in the printer?

Technician: Damian Costa,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi...My name is ***** ***** a veteran technician expert with over 20yrs of experience...I am here to help you when you are ready?

Technician: Damian Costa,
 replied 8 months ago

also make sure that the surge protector is ON if you have it running through a surge protector

if it is going to a surge protector....you should bypass it temporarily to see if you get better results

I ‘ll check the cord in the morning, it doesn’t go through a surge protector.
Technician: Damian Costa,
 replied 8 months ago

Have you tried a different power outlet?

Technician: Damian Costa,
 replied 8 months ago

to ensure that the home A/C power outlet is functioning fine

I tried it on two different outlets, other things are working on that outlet so it’s not the outlet,it just lost all power half way through a printing job
Technician: Damian Costa,
 replied 8 months ago

is the A/C adapter you are using for the printer the original one? (OEM)

It doesn’t have an ac adapter ,the cord from the printer plugs directly into the power outlet
Technician: Damian Costa,
 replied 8 months ago

OK...honestly this situation is pretty black and white...since the unit pretty much died right as you were using it

Technician: Damian Costa,
 replied 8 months ago

The unit would need to be replaced assuming that you have had it over a year

Technician: Damian Costa,
 replied 8 months ago

If you bought it under a year ago...then you have warranty

Technician: Damian Costa,
 replied 8 months ago

And printers are so inexpensive these days that it's not worth repairing...probably just buy a new one