Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Received a message on my Epson Printer that "the printer ink…

Customer Question
Received a message on...

Received a message on my Epson Printer that "the printer ink pad is at the end of its service life." What do I need to do?

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

XP-830 - approx. 2 years

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC - windows 7

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I had been printing this afternoon and the messaged appeared.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that's it.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Printers
11/10/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is full. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 2015 model, that was built for a maximum service life of 3 years, though anywhere from 1-3 years is typical, depending on actual printing levels. The more you use it the faster it wears out.

If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,