Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My hp officejet won't recognize my dell laptop when I try to…

Customer Question
My hp officejet...

My hp officejet won't recognize my dell laptop when I try to scan

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Dell is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Officejet 6600....laptop is only a few months old

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Dell laptop..I am a computer dummy..how do I check to see if it is mac or pc

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It has been an issue off and on for a couple of years...even with a different computer. When I go to scan then computer pops up and it says to open HP software but that disappeared off of my desk top. Now when I click on the computer icon on my desktop it says connect to a printer or add new software...I try to connect a printer and I click on connect wireless and the printer is listed there, I click on it and it says that it was unsuccessfull

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Also, when this happened my Microsoft office deactivated

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Printers
11/7/2017
Technician: Jennifer French, Technician replied 6 months ago
Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your printer issue today.

It sounds like perhaps your drivers for your scanner on that printer may have become corrupted or went missing. I am not 100 percent sure on that but that is what it sounds like to me.

Are you getting any type of error?

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I am unable to do a live video call. I will open this up to an expert with that ability! Please standby!

Just what I already told you
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 6 months ago
Suhasini Velu

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 6 months ago

Hi, I see you have requested for a live video call but I think this could be fixed through remote assistance so that I could directly look what exactly it's happening on your computer when you try to scan.

It may be a bit simpler and easier if you and I connect through a secure remote assistance. With that, I will be able to connect to your computer from here and work on repairing the issue personally. This can save a lot of time and if your not very fluent with computer repairs this is the best option.

Our secure remote assistance is guaranteed meaning if I cant solve the issue then you will be entitled to a full refund of all fees.

no thanks
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 6 months ago

Let me open this for other experts then.

Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 6 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi - my name is***** at JustAnswer, and I will solve this problem for you. You can tell what to do by simple indications, and what I will give you for instructions to follow.

First, let's get the basic data together on this problem:

1. does your computer have a apple logo on the main screen? or does it have a four-color button at the left corner (lower left, or sometimes upper left) of the screen?

2. is the HP Officejet printer connected to the computer with a cable? (a USB connection.)

Or is it on a wireless connection, no cable to the computer from the printer?

it has a white window on the lower left hand corner...the printer is wireless
wont let me send info

When you click, with the mouse, once, on the white window at lower left corner of your computer screen, do you get a 'menu' on the screen, most of the lower left side of the screen that is ?

it sent..never mind

are you there?

Good. Then that means you have a Windows PC, not an Apple computer. (Also, an Apple always has an 'apple-shaped' logo about it somewhere.)

Only two last question before I give you instructions:

1: go to Control Panel, after clicking on the lower-left white button to bring up the menu.

(If control panel is not findable there, type in

Control

and it should appear above.)

then click on System & Security

then click on System

and tell me the (very easily visible) Windows version - Windows 10, or 8.1, or 8, or 7, or Vista, or XP, please.

2: then, tell me also, whether the scanning ever worked before this, on this computer? or not?

Windows 10...and yes the scanner has worked in the past

Good enough.

Does the printing from the computer still work? If so, then we just need to reload scanner drivers... if the printing also does not work, then we need to do other things. Let me know, and we will proceed.

printer still works

Good. Let's refresh the scanner drivers then.

Begin by going to this page:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/HPPSdr.exe

and download, then run, the 'doctor' application. It will examine the printing and scanning, and recommend what to do. Let me know, also, whether it leads to a solution... if not, I will have further suggestions, based on what the 'doctor' application finds and reports. So please tell me how it turns out.

scan doc keeps saying I need to download the full software for the printer..when I have tried to do this in the past it wouldn't work. It gives me a choice to connect to the printer wirelessly or download new software and I click on connect to printer and it won't let me
I am trying to download printer software again

OK... let's try that.

Has the wifi router had any trouble lately, been replaced, or been reset recently?

it says it downloaded but I don't see it on my desktop..the router, modem and internet connection are all good

OK. Did you download from that page, in either Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Google Chrome?

In each case, there's a place to look for, for downloads.

I clicked on the link you provided and took it from there..I don't see the software in downloads

Well... then try this instead:

1. turn OFF the printer.

2. go to

Control Panel

View Devices and Printers

and click once on the icon for your printer, there (probably with a check-mark on it) and then choose

Remove Device.

3. then, restart your computer, when that's done.

4. then when restarted, go to this link instead, for the full software and drivers:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-6600-e-all-in-one-printer-series-h711/4322968/model/4323587

and download it and Run the download, which will reinstall your printer altogether.

where would I see the downloaded software?

What browser are you using please?

Microsoft edge

In Edge, click on the three-dot or 'More' icon,

then on Settings

then on View Advanced Settings

then in Downloads, select Save Downloaded Files To

and Change

and then either direct downloads to 'Downloads', or just see what the current option says, and you'll know where the download is going.

I changed it to downloads but its not in there...it first listed c:/users/suzanne/downloads...how do I search for this?

Go to Users

then to Suzanne

then to Downloads

then click once on 'Date' at the top of the listing, to sort downloads by date

then look at one end of the listing, for the most recent download. The file name may be unfamiliar, but the date and time should be today and recently. If so, that's the file, esp. if it says 'HP' in the file name anywhere.

where is users

ThisPC

C:

Users

is this pc in control panel
can't locate this pc

START button at lower left

then THISPC or ThisPC

then C: Hard Drive

then "Users"

If that doesn't find it, then

START button at lower left

ThisPC

C:

Users

should locate it. If not, I will help you remotely with that and the rest of this task.

there is no c drive on this computer

If it is a Windows PC, it has a C: drive, by default. It has to.

Does it have an apple logo anywhere on its case?

no...it is windows...I will keep searching

Well... go to

START

then, look in the left sidebar for 'User' or 'Users' or C: Hard Drive

or ThisPC

and click once on any one of those, to open it, and see sub-directories.

found it but couldn't locate the software..I will try to download it one more time

Yes, do... be sure to watch the screen while downloading, for e.g. a flag at the lower left of the page, or other download indications... Don't do anything else while it is downloading, and you may not miss where it goes.

ok
if it comes with a drive update should I do that as well?
driver update
is driver restore safe?

Do not use Driver Update! Do not use Driver Restore!

Those are usually scams. Just use the software straight from HP, it will work much better, cost you less, and be less trouble in the long run.

the computer won't connect to the printer so I can't access the software
the computer is recognizing that the printer is there but when I try to install it.it says network error...computer doesn't recognize printer

The printer may not be connected to the WiFi router and network any more. Try connecting the printer to the network, using the printer's own controls... If you need instructions I will provide them.

network connection successful...the only thing that doesn't work on the printer is the scan option
the printer cant be installed successfully over the network

If the scan from the computer does not work, how about photocopying using the printer's own controls? try one page, tell me how that works.

work perfectly but the problem with the printer is that it won't recognize my computer when I try to scan and the computer won't install my printer even though it pops up and the system recognizes it

What firewall do you have on your computer, please?

And, what anti-virus software or security software, also?

the printer says to open the hp printer software but I cant access it even though it has been downloaded because the computer wont enable the printer to be installed
how to check what firewall I have?
McAfee was found on there today even though I didn't purchase it so I deleted it

Go to

Control Panel

and search (at upper right) for

Security

and click on what is found: Security Status

That will tell you what you have, under Security or Firewall or Anti-Virus.

I am getting very frustrated...not with you ...just the situation. We have a home based business so I have to have all of this in working order. ds
Windows firewall and Windows defender

Your PC needs both a anti-virus suite, and a firewall of good quality (better than the Windows Firewall provided with Windows, that is.)

In this case, I would advise you to get

www.avast.com

which provides a free anti-virus (no-cost "free", that is)

And as for a free Firewall for internet security, you may get one from

https://free.avg.com

last I heard.

Download them, install them, update the anti-virus part fully, then do a Deep Scan or Full Scan on your C: Hard Drive, and eliminate what it finds... this may take an hour or two, but should clean up your PC, and also leave it in a safer condition and less prone to be attacked successfully in future (esp. if you practice good internet practices, don't visit off-color websites, and also take care what emails you open, etc.)

ok...but what does this have to do with my printer issues?

A lot. Erratic failure of printer function is often a symptom indicating a virus or malware on a computer. A good anti-virus, updated to current date, and used to do a through scan (NOT a 'Quick Scan'.)

ok

Have you tried what I suggested, yet?

Since I have not heard back from you, I am assuming that my answer was helpful and provided what you needed to help toward a solution.

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page. - A five-star rating would be appreciated. Thank you.

(If this didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will help you further to a solution.)

Russell H., Printer and Office Tech