Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I JUST REPLACED ALL 4 PRINTER INK CARTRIDGES WITH NEW HP…

I JUST REPLACED ALL...

I JUST REPLACED ALL 4 PRINTER INK CARTRIDGES WITH NEW HP cartridges and now the only thing that prints is blue , or whatever it's called. I've run every test that is available when I bring up the HP screen for the model I Have.

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?

Exct make is the HP Photosmart 6525, replaced HP ink cartridges

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Using a desk top with 7 level chip, running WIN 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Issue just started today when I replaced the ink cartridges. Just before this happened I had been printing some files (both sides)

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/20/2017
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

I ran the cleaner process atleasst 6 or 7 times that I'm sure of, but with no success. Guess it's off to Best Buy for a new printer.
Clicked on the remote access button by mistake... I don't want you to try that

Thank you for trying and sorry to hear that didn't help ,though not surprised based on the age. I'll decline the remote request as it can't be fixed that way, so as not to cost you more unnecessarily.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer
No Stars to rates you???where are they???

They should show at the very top of the page.

Nathan, Engineer