Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

When I print pictures the black ink is runny and smeared, HP

When I print pictures the...
When I print pictures the black ink is runny and smeared
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: HP Envy7640 all in one
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just happened a couple about a month ago ago
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i had some HP cartridges filled at Sams Club. Theyseemed towork ok until this
10/19/2017
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

The cartridges are by far the most likely cause of this. Refilled cartridges are not recommended because the ink they refill with is not the same quality as the original, produces poor results as you're experiencing, and actually damage your printer over time.
While there are other steps we can try, the best thing to do to start out is to replace all the cartridges with a brand new set of hp inks. Do you have any extra cartridges you can change out?

i have replaced them

Thank you, ***** ***** current cartridges are new but still have the problem, correct?

try it

This cannot be fixed remotely, so I will decline that request. This is a printer hardware defect or damage from the prior cartridges.

These symptoms point to either a contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2014 model printer, it is at/past its designed maximum 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

i dont see where the setup/maintenance is

You need to use the on screen icons on the front of the printer, you'll have to scroll over/down (there are multiple pages of options) to get to setup

Nathan, Engineer
This Is a rip-off.did'nt help me at all, but charged me $5.00, that said would be e refunded. Ended up costing me $23.00 for nothing. Just took up my time

I gave you specific step by step instructions of the actions to take. If you are getting stuck I would be happy to help you through, but would need for you to communicate with me here to do so. I also gave you information regarding the printer being at its end of life stage and that if these steps did not help it would need to be replaced. You paid a very reasonable and appropriate fee for the service. It was never 5, and was not refundable. If you review the terms and conditions which you agreed to when posting your question, the 5 was to post the question and would have been refunded if you received no answer. When you corresponded with me, you were charged that 5 along with the balance which was the total fee that you agreed to pay. Had you gone to a repair shop or called a tech out, you'd be paying a minimum of $125 for this exact same information.

I did not get remote assistance

You were not charged for remote assistance as that service was not provided. As I mentioned earlier, this is a printer hardware issue and cannot be resolved remotely.

Nathan, Engineer