Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Canon i9100, printer works fine on regular resolution (plain…

Customer Question
Canon i9100, printer works...

Canon i9100, printer works fine on regular resolution (plain paper) when I select photo paper, the images are very poor quality

Technician's Assistant: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

The printer is old (2005), never done this before. I use it regularly and have replaced the head and service it routinely.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Pc workstation win7 64bit

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I was printing about 15 large format photos (13x19) and the first 10 were fine

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not sure if the printhead needs to be replaced. If the printer is fine with low resolution images could it still be a printhead problem. Only issue when I select photo paper (any of them, pro, matte etc)

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/17/2017
Technician: Josh, Technician replied 11 months ago
Josh, Technician

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Unfortunately, the error that you are experiencing is an internal failure which would require repair/replacement. The bad news is that your printer is outside of warranty and it would cost more to repair the printer than to buy a new one. You can purchase a new one for around $50-$60 at a local electronics store such as Best Buy.

how can you make that assessment so quickly?

The average lifespan of a printer is around 3-5 years -- The issues that you are experiencing are related to a print head issue and you can purchase the same printer for around $150.

Never mind, I have already commenced a paypal dispute. To first suggest that a replacement would cost $50, then retract and indicate I could purchase another for $150 tells me that you have no experience with this product and that you haven't even successfully google searched the model. No need to respond further.

I apologize that you misunderstood my first response -- You can buy a new printer for $50-$60 at any local electronic store. If you wish to replace the same one, it would cost around $150.