Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My Dell 5110CN color laser printer has been producing these…

Customer Question
My Dell 5110CN color laser...
My Dell 5110CN color laser printer has been producing these lines and very subtle duplication of print a few inches lower in the paper. Is there a roller at fault or what?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
10/12/2017
Technician: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 11 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

This has been going on for the last ?20 printed pages becoming more pronounced lately. I have just made a picture of a blank "white page" and a page with some printing on it for your review. Give me a minute or two to upload it .

Okay-

Ok - can you unplug the printer from the power supply while the printer is on and hold in the power button on it for 30 seconds.
Let me know done
Regards
Kris

There is only a rocker switch, not a power button like a PC has. Should I try something else?
.BTW, I am not in a rush to get an answer in the next five minutes...I actually can check in about 8 hours today ...say 5+ pm eastern standard time. I'll go ahead right now and do the power cycling you are suggesting. Thanks.

OK If it's a rocker, turn it off and press the cancel three times..

Done...rocker switch off, cancelled buttojn pressed 3 times.

Okay try it now and tell me If it has imporved any

ok
There was (a guess) 30-50% improvement in doing that. Is there any significance to the observation that looking in the landscape configuration the markings become darker ?

It sounds like the drum is failing.

Can you turn it off at the wall for 30 minutes or so and then tell me If it has adjusted?

This should force it to auto adjust after it has cooled..

Note: Can you please rate me at the top so I am credited with my time, 5/5 gives me most credit and would be much appreciated. Thanks.
=========================================

I'll do that. I'd prefer to do the rating at the conclusion. Is there more than one drum? What is the drum called? I'll be continuing the testing this evening after 5 pm .....hopefully you are available or I'll re-check with you in the morning....Thanks.Santon.

There is only one drum, and it binds the toner to the paper.

Just return to this question and we can take it from there once it's cooled

Will do... Thanks.Santon

Thanks

Kris, here's some followup... I turned off the printer and unplugged it at the wall until the next evening...some 24 hours later. It made no difference. But tonight, days later, I ran through a 10 year old Laser Printer Cleaning Sheet that I had never used in the past, some 5 times through the machine as instructed. It cleared up the sheets almost perfectly.I realized that I replaced the black printer ink cartridge some weeks ago when this started, and am wondering if despite it being new, it may have been poorly crafted and has allowed black "powder" to get on to the drum (or on to ....) and cause these lines I showed on the images I attached earlier. I plan to in the morning run a few more sheets through to see if that clears it up the last 5 %. Could it be simply the ink cartridge? It was from Amazon: LD © Compatible Toner to replace Dell(###) ###-####(KD584) High Yield Black Toner Cartridge for your Dell 5110cn (5110) Color Laser printer

Did you run it from the main menu?

I'm not sure what you mean by the main menu...on the computer or the machine, bit On my computer, in a blank Word Document, I hit print and I have seen improvement. It's not perfect but better making me ask myself what is being removed by these Laser Printer Cleaning Sheets?

Can you give me the code it gives you please.

I haven’t seen any codes from the printer. Is there way I can initiate some sort of a diagnostic code From the printer?

Yes press the 0 cancel button 3 times

Kris, my bad...getting back to you. Do I need to preface with some action to get a code to display by pressing the cancel button 3 times?? I did search this evening through the Dell-5110cn user's guide_en-us.pdf without any hits on the word code that seemed relevant. I'll take any hints...
Santon.
Technician: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 10 months ago

Would it be OK to connect and have a look?

What would you look to see? When I use a browser it shows the tones near full, imaging drum at 80%, transfer roller 100% and fuser at 60%....everything is "green" . No printer jobs are stuck...it prints with those lines or "roller marks I think, with a duplicate image appearing on a printed form making me think somehow the imaging is not cutting off completely or clearly...is that the drum doing that ?? or extra "ink" that didn't adhere completely to the paper? How do I tell the drum is bad??

The drum heats the ink to the paper, If it is not sticking, then the drum is not heating the toner correctly.

Would that sound right in your case?

The image or imprint is being subtly duplicated a few inches down the page, but fainter. And that is on top of the vertical bands or columns that about an inch wide that go length wise in the portrait mode...you have a copy of it from a few weeks ago ....that's why I thought it was some series of rollers contributing.
Oh, and no printer events are shown in the browser under printer status. And no series of codes listed in the 447 page user's guide
the overlain image that I sent on Oct 12th is still the same, maybe slightly darker

How old is the printer?

It's a commercial printer, printing some 56931 pages since it's birth about 10 years ago.
I think I have replaced the imaging drum once as I look at a picture of it on Amazon.

I wonder if it is the drum. Can you unplug the printer for an hour and let it cool and tell me if its ok for the fist few prints?

Ok. I'll respond tomorrow.

ok thanks