Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My Canon printer MG5650 I've replaced all the ink tanks

Customer Question
My Canon printer MG5650...

My Canon printer MG5650 I've replaced all the ink tanks because it wasn't printing and with the replacement inks still not working

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer?

Canon MG5350

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

MacOS Sierra

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

For quite some time not sure how long

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I just want to get it working again

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
10/6/2017
Technician: Harold Hanna, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna, Engineer

Hello how are you today? Are you getting a specific error?

Don't want to pay more money I think I may have paid you twice

I understand, I only see one other question you posted and it was irrelevant to this. You do not pay for this question unless I successfully assist you with your problem.

Harold I am very old and can get confused sometimes what do want me to do?

It is alright I will help you to the best of my ability. Do you see an error with the printer? What happens when you try to print?

I don't want to pay $55 I am an old aged pensioner and don't have a lot of spare cash
the printer took a long time to warm up and it then put out the paper but only had some half printed 3 lines of unreadable print

I understand if you do not want to pay more, it is alright if you do not. Have you tried any of the cleaning options for that printer?

Cleaning options, NO I have not I didn't know of this

Alright. These instructions are from Canon's website --

1. Make sure that the power is turned on.

2. Clean the print head.

(1) Press the (Maintenance) button repeatedly until H is displayed.

(2) Press the Color or Black button.

The machine starts cleaning the print head.

Do not perform any other operations until the machine completes the cleaning of the print head. This takes about 1 to 2 minutes.

3. Check the print head condition.

When the cleaning is complete, the LED (Light Emitting Diode) returns to the copy standby mode.

To check the print head condition, print the nozzle check pattern.

What maintenance button can't see one on the printer sorry

It's alright. It somewhat looks like pliers and a screwdriver put together.

Could you tell me which button to press as nothing like pliers and screwdriver is apparent.is it on the screen or where?

Alright. You should see it on the home screen, it may say Setup. Do you see that? If you see it, then you select Maintenance, and then Cleaning.

Harold, I've found it now Thanks it's now cleaning the print head

Great! Hopefully this will make it so the printer is printer properly.

Please keep me updated if this is having any effect on the well being of your printer.

Harold it tells me the print head is clogged and I've cleaned it again, it's a little better but print is quite faint should I try
to do it again?

Yes, please try it again.

The second print was not as good as the first one which was not really correctly printed
The screen tells me nozzle not clogged and does not need cleaning

Alright, the main thing is we see a difference. You can attempt the other options on the maintenance screen if it states that the nozzle is not the problem.

Which maintenance step should I try next

Can you tell me the maintenance options you see?

aline print head which I'm trying first it's taking a long time, it looks like they are alined OK, Roller cleaning is next, made a noise then screen in red U052 the type of print head is incorrect Install correct print head, what does that mean?
Can't tell you any more maintenance options as screen is locked on the last message, I'm beginning to think this is a bit of
a no hoper Harold. If it's telling me the print head is incorrect, I'm at a loss, what do you reckon Harold ?
I thought if I reboot the printer it might let me get out of that screen but it didn't I'm still locked into the last screen.
What do you advise I do now Harold ? or are you not there anymore
Because of daylight saving in NSW I guess you have left the office, that's OK Harold but Queens land is behind by an hour
But thank you for trying to help me, it is appreciated........Regards ***** *****

Hello again, I appreciate your understanding. It was near 2AM the last time I responded. You can message back whenever you are available and we can continue attempting to fix the printer. We could look into reseating the print head by taking it out and putting it back in. That may resolve the issue. Let me know if you'd like to try this and I'll be here to assist!

2am I thought you were in Australia, no wonder you left, to get some sleep no doubt and here was me rambling on about
daylight saving. Is now a good time to contact you? if not where are situated and I'll call you at a better time OK....Rich
Harold, Right this is where I was up to My Canon printer is locked onto "UO52 The type of print is incorrect install the correct
print head" It is locked onto that and I cannot get out of that info' I tried to reboot the printer but that didn't work it's still locked
on to that message.......Rich
Happy to try reseating the print head.......Rich

Hey Rich. It's alright that we have different hours, I am happy you are understanding with that. This is from Canon's website, and shows in detail step by step how to reseat the print head. It also specifically mentions the U052 error, so it's great we were on the right track previously with thinking about the print head.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART138026

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be here to help! Although it may be at odd times considering our distance :)

Please let me know if you need any additional help with reseating the printhead. I believe this will solve the problem! If it does, please rate my level of assistance from 1 to 5 stars. I hope you have a great day!

Harold, Thanks for your efforts to solve my problem with Canon Printer, although the information on reseting the print head
seems the obvious answer, it just didn't work, I tried the procedure again but no luck.
Regards Rich

Hey Rich, sorry it is not working right away. You tried to reset the print head, did you try the cleaning mentioned in the video also? If that doesn't work, it may very well be the print head that has gone bad. I can look into replacement costs if you'd like if the print head cleaning doesn't work?

Hi Harold, I've tried cleaning mentioned in the video, but without success. I have some important drawings I need to print,
so I purchased a Brother HL1110 Mono Laser Printer for $58 ( US$45 ) I cannot stuff around with this Canon anymore, I'm
beginning to think it's a bit of a lemon. Thank you for trying to help but it is a lost cause with the damn thing , at least with the
Laser I will not have worry about Colour Ink Tanks.I don't know if I will have to pay for your services or not, I hope not, but guess that's up you guy's. But again thank you for trying. It also appears I've been charged for some kind of Membership
at $60 a month which I don't need or want, but not sure if that comes in sphere of expertise or not, or should I be contacting someone else? Regards Rich

Hey Rich, I apologize the things we discussed did not work, but it was worth trying before ultimately replacing the printer. As far as if you have/should pay or not, that is based on your experience with my help. If you believe I was helpful and helped you achieve the best situation under the circumstances, you can rate me (which will pay). I do not work hourly, I only receive payment on if and when you decide I have been as helpful as possible.

As far as a membership (separate matter), you can ask to not be subscribed to the membership. It does include unlimited questions and answers with not only tech support, but lawyers, doctors, mechanics, and other certified experts. This is completely up to you, if you do not want it you can ask for the subscription to be canceled. Either way, if I have been helpful to you, feel free to rate my level of assistance!

I hope you have a great day, and it was great working with you Rich!

Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna, Engineer