Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

The scans with my Brother MCF display vertical lines on the…

Customer Question
The scans with my...

The scans with my Brother MCF display vertical lines on the finished product. Copies and prints do not have these lines. What can I do to fix this?

Technician's Assistant: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It was purchased in 2012.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

A Mac. Where can I find information on the OS I am running?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It has been happening for the past two weeks. I don't recall anything special happening prior to this occurring.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Printers
10/4/2017
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 10 months ago
Suhasini Velu

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 10 months ago

May I have the model number of your printer please?

It is a Brother MCF-7860DW.
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 10 months ago

Thank you very much.Let me see what can be done here. Please hold.

Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 10 months ago

This problem occurs if the image quality between your computer and the scanner unit don't keep balanced or a foreign object such as a paper clip or ripped paper is in the scanner.

Please follow the first step to clear the lines while scanning

1. Check the document feed slot and make sure that the slot is clear. There could be staples, paper clips, or chips of correction fluid lodged in the feed slot. If foreign objects were found, remove from the machine.

I will post you back with the following steps.

Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 10 months ago

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=id&lang=en&prod=ds720d_all&faqid=faq00002881_000

Please follow this link which will take you to the official support article of Brother support site.

And let me know if that works,

I will wait.

Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 10 months ago

Is that working? Or still you have got lines when you scan?

I used canned air to clean the paper slot. There were not jammed items that I could detect. The test scan still had lines. They are not at bad but still visible.
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 10 months ago

Okay,let me see if there is anything else we could do.

And thank you for your patience.

Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 10 months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovq7Ajnibg4

Try to follow this link please and try cleaning the printer using a wet cloth but not drippng wet.

I used a pre-moistened cleaning cloth to clean the recommended areas. Alas, the vertical lines are still on the page.
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 10 months ago

Oh I apologize for that.

Let me check what else can be done further.

Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 10 months ago

The last thing we could try to do is try cleaning the corona wire

https://www.youtube.com/embed/YPOastzI1ow?cc_load_policy=1&rel=0

I am having trouble removing the toner cartridge to effect the last recommendation for curing the problem. That may be contributing to this problem.
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 10 months ago

Yes, you are correct and please try the steps and let me know where you stuck. So that we can proceed further accordingly.

I am unable to remove the toner cartridge. I have tried to remove it as shown in the video but it will only disengage on one side but not the other. I will work on it to see if I can dislodge it without breaking something.
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 10 months ago

Okay sure!