Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a HP 3520 that takes a 564XL black cartridge. Upon…

Customer Question
I have a HP...

I have a HP 3520 that takes a 564XL black cartridge. Upon installing it, I got various messages saying this was a fake cartridge, which it wasn't, then it indicated I was out of ink, and finally said thank you for using the HP cartridge. However, the printer feeds the paper through the printer and seems to be trying to print but I get a blank piece of paper. The ink is in the cartridge ok. What do you suggest?

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?

3520 e, and 564XL. It is the same cartridge number that I took out of my printer when I changed cartridges.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC. I haven't changed anything only the cartridge.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

When the ink gave out, I took the cartridge and bought antoher HP cartridge with the exact number on it. I did put the old ink cartridge back in to see if I could get any more printing out of it but it was empty. So, I put the new on in and it isn't printing. It was printing fine until this time.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Printers
10/3/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

still not printing
Thanks but I will just take it to my computer guy so he can check out my computer as well. I appreciate your suggestions. Have a good evening.

You're very welcome, and sorry to hear that didn't work. You mentioned not printing though, which is a bit different than a cartridge error message. Is it still giving the error or is it going through the motions but outputting a blank page at this point?

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?