Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a MFC-J48oDW. When I tried to scan a document, the…

Customer Question
I have a MFC-J48oDW...

I have a MFC-J48oDW. When I tried to scan a document, the preview showed a solid black page. Also, when making a copy, the copy prints as a solid black page. there is also an error message that it failed to initialize, and to turn it off, but pressing the off button does not turn off the machine. it appears scanning mechanism is stuck and doesn't travel across the page as it should when scanning or copying.

Technician's Assistant: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Brother WORK SMART SERIES, MFC-J480DW. We bought it new about a year ago.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC, Windows XP

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It started a few days ago. Before that we were getting messages that we were low on ink. I thought that was the problem so we replaced the magenta and cyan cartridges but that didn't fix it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I had been trying to scan a document and i wasn't sure how, so I was "playing" with the settings on the printer and the compuer to get it to work. I was able to get into the scanning mode but that's when I ran into the problem of the all-black preview screen.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Printers
10/2/2017
Technician: Tech Ben, Information Systems Manager replied 10 months ago
Tech Ben
Tech Ben, Information Systems Manager
Experience: 15+ years of experience as an Information Systems Manager; responsible for overseeing computer and network systems, installation and maintenance, troubleshooting hardware and software issues, etc.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

I'm Kumar and I'll assist you today.

Can you please let me know if you were able to Reboot the Printer?

To Reboot :

Unplug the power adapter

Press and HOLD the power button for 60 seconds.

Plugin the power adapter but do not release HOLD on Power Button

Release HOLD

Power on the device.

Thanks,

Kumar

I have done the above. It is on.

Can you please try printing

I rebooted the printer according to Kumar's directions. I ran a copy but still have the same problem of the copy being all black. Is there something else that I am supposed to do?

I see you opted me out somehow. Anyways, the opt out has been released. Can you please let me know if you are able to access your maintenance option from the LCD on the printer?

Thanks,

Kumar

I went to settings. I see SELECT. Do I select INK/MAINTENANCE?

I would like to start with Reset instead. Prior to that, can you please confirm how is the Printer connected? Wifi or LAN?

not Wifi. so it must be LAN.

Okay.. From settings, can you please choose maintenance and click headcleaning?

I clicked on headcleaning

Okay

I completed cleaning on black and color

Okay.. Now, can you try to take one print. While printing, can you please confirm the print settings?

I made one copy
quality normal, black
the print was solid black

Can we have a quick remote session? Or can you please provide a screenshot of the print settings/preferences?

I clicked on settings. I got the select menu. is that the screenshot you want?

Yes, can you please provide one.

I took a screenshot on my cell phone. How do I send it to you?

Do you see an option on the text box to add attachments? Should be towards the end?

I can text the photo. is there a phone number I can send it to?

Can you please send me a remote assistance request, so that I can check the full system and resolve the issue as soon as I can.

I may do that later but I need to go off line now.

Please do let me know once you are available so that we can have a quick remote assistance session.