Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I keep getting the message of printhead error. A few days…

Customer Question
I keep getting the...

I keep getting the message of printhead error. A few days ago I got the message and followed the instructions to clean the printhead. It then worked fine. Now, a few days later, the same message. I recleaned, although there did not appear to be any problem. Now I continue getting the same message.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

Lexmark S600

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC windows

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Since last week. Nothing happened. I just tried to print as always and now I get this message.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Thats all I know

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Printers
10/2/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately this symptom indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2009 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault. These lexmarks are widely regarded as the worst printers ever made, they were very poorly designed and built and have very high failure rates. They were so bad that lexmark nearly went bankrupt supporting all the warranty claims, and stopped making inkjets entirely shortly after this model.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $90, A logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?