Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

When I try to print even something as simple as the test…

Customer Question
When I try to...

When I try to print even something as simple as the test page, the printer makes noises like its going to print, the 'flaps' on the exit tray go up and down a couple of times but then stop and nothing else happens other than the orange indicator light starts flashing (the green light is on throughout)

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

HP Deskjet 840C, I have no idea how old it is.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

A Proline with Pentium 4 processor running Windows 7

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It was fine until I tried to print on a slightly thicker paper stock. It wouldn't take that, now it doesn't want to take even thinner paper

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I've checked all cables and they're all plugged in. Other than that, no.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Printers
10/2/2017
Technician: Richard, Technician replied 10 months ago
Richard, Technician

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

I did that. It does switch on ie green light is on, but when I try and print a test page then it doesn't want to do it - it goes through the same motions as before and stops with the orange light blinking.

Thanks

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

No, that's too much for me.

You are referring to a service the website offers, which being optional, can be ignored if you do not wish to use it.

Please ignore it and reply here to my last instructions I sent you please

I've done what you've asked. I now have a green light on the printer. Should I try to print again?

yes please

No go. Same motions as before. Unless there`s something else (other than acessing my machine) that you can recommend then I'll just take it to a local printer repair shop and have them check it out.

Can you change the ink cartridges please and tell me if it then can print please.