Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Horizontal black streaks, get darker after machine is

Customer Question
Horizontal black streaks, get...

Horizontal black streaks, get darker after machine is warmer. Cleaned the wire when put in new cartridge. Made no difference. Glass is clean. Everything else is OK. Slow but otherwise fine for how I use it.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

Canon PC-6re, 25 years old. Use it only for single copies on occasion. The speed doesn't matter. Oh yes, the contrast adjustments work, but becomes too pale by time the lines are dimihished. Does it include a drum that should be replaced. Or just another cartridge or ?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC Win 10. BUT, do not use it as a printer and is not hooked up to computer. Manual copying only

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Has been happening for several months, just getting worse. Nothing specific happened. I cleaned it and changed cartridge but made no difference, or maybe a little and then it recurred.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No. Only if it could be a drum problem. It is so old, not worth spending much $$ on this.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
10/2/2017
Technician: R Hefner, Computer Engineer and Instructor replied 7 months ago
R Hefner
R Hefner, Computer Engineer and Instructor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you get rid of the black lines when you hare using the copier.

So the black lines in the copy happen due to a few reasons.

1. On the glass of the scanner on the left hand side there is a slit glass. So take a cotton damp clean rag and wipe the left hand side of the scanner glass. Make sure on the left hand side there is noting in the crack where the glass meets the shell of the printer.

The try to print.

2. This is a slight more complicated. Remove the toner and the developer on the printer

Remove the drum. Rules for the drum. DO NOT touch the bottom of the drum. Use the small white wheels to more the drum back and forward. It has a self cleaner. DO not have the drum out for more than about 5 minutes without a cover. Now if the drum is pink or red in tint then the drum is worn out and needs to be replaced. Or replace the printer (probably cheaper). Once the drum has been rotated and is not pink or red in color, then return the drum, developer and the toner.

John, Computer Science Engineer