Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a new Epson L395 installed on a linux machine. The…

Customer Question
I have a new...

I have a new Epson L395 installed on a linux machine. The print two-sided option isn't available but it is on my Windows machine. How can I enable it in Linux?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

Epson L395 New

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Ubuntu Linux laptop

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Since installation a few days ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Manual duplex is oK

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
10/1/2017
Technician: Tech Ben, Information Systems Manager replied 8 months ago
Tech Ben
Tech Ben, Information Systems Manager
Experience: 15+ years of experience as an Information Systems Manager; responsible for overseeing computer and network systems, installation and maintenance, troubleshooting hardware and software issues, etc.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

I'm Kumar and I'll assist you today. Can you please let me know how the printer is connected to the Laptop?

Thanks,

Kumar

wireless

Okay. Thanks. Can you please confirm if you followed the below steps to add the printer.
To set up a network printer:
It's assumed that the printer is connected to your network. Click the icon at the far right of the menu bar and select System Settings.
Open Printers.
Click Add.
If your printer is listed in the Devices list, select it and goto step 7.
It's assumed that you know your printer's IP address. Select Find Network Printer, enter the IP address in the Host field, and click Find.
The system should now have found your printer. If the Host field does not display the IP address, enter it again.
Click Forward and wait while the system searches for drivers.
Choose a driver and install it.
You can customize the printer's name, description, and location if you like. When finished, click Apply.
You can now print a test page or click Cancel to skip that step.

Thanks,
Kumar

I have gone through those steps. The only problem is that in Linux it won't provide the double sided printing that it does in Windows.

Can you please confirm you tried the below steps.

Click File ▸ Print.

Go to the Page Setup tab of the Print window and choose an option from the Two-sided drop-down list. If the option is disabled, two-sided printing is not available for your printer.

Printers handle two-sided printing in different ways. It's a good idea to experiment with your printer to see how it works.

You can print more than one page of the document per side of paper too. Use the Pages per side option to do this.

I know that two-sided is available for the printer, because it is in Windows, but seems to be disabled in Linux.

Okay. What is the setting for Duplex Option on your Linux Laptop? Long edge or short edge?

The point is there seems to be no Duplex option in Linux but there is in the Windows version of the driver.

Which program are you using to print? Office, Adobe?

PDF and Spreadsheets, etc. The problem doesn't seem to be application-specific

It does seem like you have the open-source gutenprint driver and no Epson Driver installed. Let me see if I can get you the link to install the driver.

ok

I'll get back to you with Instructions and drivers in sometime.

Is your Linux 64 or 32 bit?

64 bit

Okay..

Can you please check if you are able to open http://localhost:631

I am able

I shared a lot of details. I seems it did not get delivered. Gosh. Let me send it again.

From the above link that I provided, can you please go ahead and add the epson printer again and check if Duplex option is coming.

Can you please open Terminal and type : sudo apt-get install system-config-printer

Then Select your Epson Printer. Scroll down to find the duplex option.

Please download the driver from : http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02/DriverDownloadInfo.do?LG2=EN&CN2=&DSCMI=64154&DSCCHK=4a1641c1dac2fb92f9ee4b923e65bbd956e1ea7f

I have followed your instructions, Maybe it's just not possible. I'm perplexed

Its actually possible. Since its a Linux, I wont be able to provide you remote assistance. But, I can document the process and share the same so that you can try. Please wait while I create a documentation.

Thank-you

In the meantime, can you please use the below link and check if you are able to find the option.

https://www.utwente.nl/en/lisa/ict/manuals/printing/ubuntu/

ok