Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an HP Photosmart C5280. I am getting an error message…

Customer Question
I have an HP...

I have an HP Photosmart C5280. I am getting an error message to clear a carriage jam. I open the top and find nothing. I press OK and the printer resets and the message repeats. As the reset process completes I hear a binding/grinding sound and the error message reappears.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?

HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

I am using a PC and running Windows 7

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

No warning. The printer was used earlier in the day with no issues. A scan of a document was attempted later and that is when the problem started. I also noted that the holders for the ink cartridges were dirty and smudged with ink.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
10/1/2017
Technician: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 11 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

It first happened on Friday, Sept 29th. I tried to print a page and the error started.

Ok - can you unplug the printer from the power supply while the printer is on and hold in the power button on it for 30 seconds.
Let me know done
Regards
Kris

I held the button down, unplugged the printer and released button after 30 seconds. I plugged back in and got the same carriage jam error.

Ok no good, can you give me the serial number of it please?

There is a white tag on the back with a barcode. The number on the tag reads: MY77IDG13C. There is another number that reads Q8320A.

When and were was this purchased?

5 years ago from Computerland in Anchorage AK

Would it be possible to connect and have a look?

Thanks Kris. We decided to take advantage of a good price on a new printer. Time to deep six the HP.
Thanks for your efforts!