Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I just purchased a Canon MFC731C printer. It seems to have…

Customer Question
My name is***** just...

My name is***** just purchased a Canon MFC731C printer. It seems to have installed ok, but it doesn't print. Troubleshoot says it's ok. I Have Windows 10. When I click on "Printer" the icon says it's ready. I checked the connections; they seem ok. I tried to scan without the computer; the new printer goes through the motions, but it doesn't print. I tried to get a test print, and it too did not print. any suggestions.

Technician's Assistant: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

The computer is HP about 3 yrs old, off hand, do not know the model # but it has super space, barely used. The Printer is a new Canon MF 731C

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I bought it yesterday. Worked on it last night, and a few hours today. I went back to best buy but the floor technician was no help.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

If you have any suggestions how to make it print, much appreciated. Thanks.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/1/2017
Technician: Martin, Network Engineer replied 8 months ago
Martin, Network Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Has the printer ever worked?

It's brand new, just out of the box. I installed it using the installation program. Checked all the wiring. Under "Printers" I've set it as the default. My Windows 10 printer program shows that it "Is Ready." I troubleshot the problem...the results specified no problem...the new printer is operational. But, it still does not print. I tried using the copy procedure without the computer: the new printer went through all the motions as if it were going to print, but nothing happened. (The new printer has a monitor; each time I try to print something the monitor shows "pause" (creating a cue) and does not print.)
Note: I'm using the same USB cable that I used on my prior smaller Canon ink jet printer. This new Canon printer is much large (Laser). Is it possible that a different USB cable is necessary?
Frankly, I'm not excited about you rummaging around my computer; but will consider it if security is assured. Thanks, ***** *****
I have a Geek from Best Buy coming over Wed morning. If you can come up with a solution that solves the problem before then it would be much appreciated and helpful.

Just reading through your last reply

The remote session uses an encrypted connection with a session key so it is secure.

How is the computer connected to the printer, via a USB cable or Ethernet cable?

Have you tried using a different USB cable or an Ethernet cable?

I did not get back with you because I had other issues with the Canon Printer...too involved; I swapped it out for a HP LaserJet Pro MFP M426f,M427f (series). It was much easier to install, and I've resolved all the problems except for the following:
I'm writing a book using Microsoft Word 16. The size of the book (including .65" margins) is 6"x9". On an older printer I've been printing this book-size layout (6"x9") on letter-size paper (8x11) with no problem. For ease of editing purposes, I wish to continue the same using the new printer, but it's not working. Can we solve this problem?
Thanks, ***** *****
I'm not interested in remote tech service support. Thanks anyway. Gordon Simms

You're welcome, Gordon.

If you have any problems or would like any additional assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
.

And if you could take a moment to rate my service by selecting one of the 5 stars at the top it would be greatly appreciated.

Remember you can always come back to this page if you need more help with this issue (without extra charge).

Maybe I missed something, but I did not see a reply to my 8 Oct comment. Anyway, let me add this: All my new HP printer-computer connections are ok. I am fully using the HP printer except for the problem I describe in 8 October. (I might add that I know the 6x9 format can print on letter size paper because it worked fine both on on older HP & Canon ink-jet printers. Fiddle-faddling around, I even finally got it to work on a couple of pages with the Canon LaserJet, but I have no Idea how I did it. I got with a Canon geek (who was very helpful as far as it went) but he wasn't able to figure it out either, so I gave up with him, and swapped my Canon LaserJet printer for this current HP LaserJet. The HP was much easier to install...except for this one issue. If you can solve the problem, I will certainly give you a first-class rating. Thanks, ***** *****

Hello, welcome back!

Providing you had someone at your house without being able to resolve it or know why it was resolved I doubt I could do any better without taking a look at the problem myself. I would be more than happy to do so via a remote session so we can find the underlying problem.

Let me know if you would like to give that a try.

Sorry, I'm not interested in a remote. If you want to call me at(###) ###-#### possibly we can talk this through. Before that, suggest the following alternative...
1) If available, open Microsoft Word (I'm using 2016 version).
2) On the menu bar go to Layout/size/scroll to 6" x 9"/click on margins/set margins at .65"
3) Type a variety of this and that on that format
4) Click File/print.
5) My default printer is HP LaserJet MFP426.
The printer does not print the 6 x 9 on letter size paper. (The same problem existed on the Canon Laserjet. The problem
seems to be generic with LaserJets. There was no problem with either HP or Canon ink jet printers. By accident, one
time, I got the Canon LaserJet to print the 6 x 9 on letter size, but haven't a clue how it happened. Even though I couldn't
get it to repeat, it showed that it could be done. But how???.
If you can't solve the problem, guess we'll have to cancel...Gordon Simms

I will open the question to other experts as I have run out of ideas.

You do not need to do anything, you will be notified when another expert takes over.

Technician: Joel Kalman, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer

Hello. I am pleased to assist you today. My name is ***** ***** I can help you resolve your problem.

Please give me a few moments to review the issue.

I tried using your settings, specifying 6 x 9 paper size and using 8 1/2 x 11 paper with 0.65" margins. I have an HO Officejet 8600 inkjet printer. It printed, but the 6 x 9 format was not centered on the page. Instead, it was referenced to the top left corner of the page. I do not understand why you would want to do that. Why not specify the actual letter size paper and adjust the left and right margins to 1 1/4" and the top and bottom margins to 1". That would print your book with 6 x 9 line width and page length and avoid any problems with conformance of the printer.

If you are satisfied with my advice, I would appreciate a Good or Excellent rating. If you have questions or are having problems, please let me know, so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be of service.

I ONLY GET COMPENSATED WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING.

Good morning, Joel. Close, but no cigar. As I said before, both my HP and Canon inkjet printers printed my 6x9 on letter size paper with no problem (the HP printed to the left as you said; the Canon centered just perfect). Problem is, I want to do the same on my new HP Laserjet printer. Somehow, fiddling around, I got my prior Canon Laserjet to do it, but when I tried again, I couldn't repeat it. So, I know it can be done, but How? I swapped the Canon Laserjet for an HP Laserjet, but that did not solve the problem.
The reason I wish to stay with my current 6x9 format printed on letter-size paper: I'm completely finished with my book...have been working with the publisher for over a year with several back-and-forth reviews and editing. I have no desire to screw around with the book's page and margin settings. Locally, I need to run off several copies as a galley proof for local coordination and otherl reviewers. I still have my old Canon Inkjet printer which I'll use if I have to, but I much prefer this new HP Laser printer, which is otherwise great for all my other printing needs. Hope we don't have to give up but your effort is appreciated. Some little minor tiny setting needs to be clicked, and it'll work...but whatever that setting is, I haven't a clue. If you know someone in either Microsoft Word or HP printer, maybe you can contact them (or I'll contact them...whichever). Thanks, ***** *****

Actually, the suggested page margins that I presented were not quite right. To preserve your textual line withs and page lengths, the left and right margins for 8 1/2 x 11 paper would need to be 1.90' (1.25+0.65), and the top and bottom margins would need to be 1.65" (1.00+0.65), incorporating your original margins for 6x9 paper with the larger paper. This would preserve the page numbers! There is no need to "screw around" with the settings. The only thing that needs to be changed when the 6x9 paper is used is the paper size and margins. It should not be a problem. I do not know of any simple overrides that will make the HP printer work. In any case, I cannot help you with minor performance issues particular to laserjet printers, since my printer is an inkjet.

Thanks for the help, but I finally figured it out myself. All I did was convert the document to PDF and my new HP laserjet printed it to specification, centered to the page. It was a worthwhile effort and if you feel that you should keep the Visa payment, it's oki with me.Thanks again. Gordon Simms

Thank you for the feedback. I will remember that. You only need to pay if you are satisfied with the service, which you can indicate by selecting 3 stars orbetter from the 5-Star rating system. If you do not rate, you do not pay, and your deposit will be returned.