Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My Canon Pixma mp490 is stating a paper jam yet I cannot…

Customer Question
Hi, My Canon Pixma...

Hi, My Canon Pixma mp490 is stating a paper jam yet I cannot find any piece. It us unplugged and I cannot figure out what to do next to look for any hidden little pieces trapped inside. (Neither myself nor my daughter recall any paper jam occurring)

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

Approx 5 yrs old

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC windows

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Since three days happened suddenly. dont' recall any 'event' precedig it

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Hmmm no i guess not thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
9/30/2017
Technician: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 7 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

a few days
the printer dosen't even try to grab the paper.
I've pressed STOP to cancel the print job, unplugged the printer, opened the printer as best I could.
I don't see any jam nor can figure out how to open the printer further in order to check for small pieces (even though I doubt there are any small pieces since there was no original jam or issue)
This appearance of the Paper Jam message on the led screen happened suddenly a few days ago.
Are you still there?
Technician: Electronics Pete, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Electronics Pete

Hello, I see you have requested to work with a new expert.

My name is***** will try my best to help you with your printer question.

There may be some small fragments of paper stuck inside the printer - to remove them, try manually pushing a piece of thin, stiff card through the paper feed slot and all the way through the printer.

Let me know if that works?

will do
perhaps my thin card isn't thin enough
I can't get it to go through
Is there a way to really open the machine?
Other idea?
got it pulled through
retrying to print
Nope
Still get the message on the led screen:
Error
The paper is jammed.
Clear the paper and press ok.
Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete, Engineer