Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Hp 7515 says printer failure/turn off and the on. It only…

Customer Question
Hp 7515 says printer...

Hp 7515 says printer failure/turn off and the on. It only goes back to that message after turning off then on?

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

??? maybe 3/4 yrs

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC windows 2013

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Never before last night. 1st pop up had some cartridge colors listed...my wife was using it. It was printing right along then just stopped. After I messed with it a little bit...re inserting cartridges etc...the new on/off pop up appeared and noe stuck there.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

That's the whole story....what are your rates?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
9/30/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

thanks you..... I will replace as advised. Would you please give me of my total charge from you. I never was able to log in after giving my credit info??? Regards, Jeff
how do you come up with that charge? I tried unsuccessfully for 20-30 min to log in. They NEVER sent me temp password ***** I DID continually check my junk mail..

Hi Jeff, sorry I missed you earlier, by the time you had come back I was offline briefly for dinner,

I'm not sure what you're referring to about the charge, the total is the amount that was displayed on the payment page though when posting your question ($5 deposit plus the balance upon receiving an answer).

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Hi Jeff, it looks like your question is still open, do you need more help with this?