Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a workforce WF-3640. I have tried all of the things…

Customer Question
I have a workforce...

I have a workforce WF-3640. I have tried all of the things that your manual suggests. The black will not print correctly. It has spaces that are vacant. I have cleaned the head so many times I used up a whole 252 XL No success. Do I need to buya new part of has this printer died?

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

Workforce WF-3640. About 2 1/2 years

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I believe it was not used while I was in the hospital and maybe that is why it has become clogged

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that is it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
9/29/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it). Inkjet printers cannot sit idle, if they go more than about a week without use they quickly clog up then when you try to print again they can easily overheat and be permanently damaged. It is common as well to see the black nozzles fail first as they get the most use.

The initial cleaning steps were appropriate, and should be done repeatedly, up to 10 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2014 model printer, it is well into its designed maximum 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Nathan, Engineer