Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Looking to override or reset maintenance tank in epson

Customer Question
Hello- looking to override...

Hello- looking to override or reset maintenance tank in epson stylus photo 7700. I have a new tank, but when I switched it out, the menu read: Wrong Tank. So i took out the padding from the unmatched maintenance tank, put the foam into the old tank, and of course the chip is reading that it's still full of ink.

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is 3 yrs old. It is the dpson stylus Pro 7700 large format

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Mac

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

10.12.6 os

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Just looking to quickly override the tank setting, thanks :)

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
9/27/2017
Technician: Harold Hanna, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna, Engineer

Hello, I can attempt to assist you today. There is a piece of software that will reset Epson settings, however it is for Windows computers. I look every few days for a Mac software to do this, and have yet to see one. Are you able to use a PC whether it is another computer, neighbors, etc that you could use to reset the printer?

Unfortunately no

Are you able to return the defective tank and receive a new one? I'm looking into settings for that printer, but in my experience Epson does have many "hard" settings based on time and usage, which will falsely say the printer is more or less too old. The software I can find will reset these settings, but it is only for a Windows machine. As you have already switched tanks/padding, I am unsure how you can reset this manually but I will look. Have you had the printer turned off without a power plug for 15 minutes or so in attempt to reset it's internal readings?

No- but I'll unplug it now- I did see on a couple sites that there's an advanced menu you can sneak into by holding down a few buttons while the machine is off and then turning it back on while holding the buttons down. Tried 3 diff. configurations but no go. Did get into the maintenance menu by holding pause button and turning back on, but alas- no option for maintenance tank.

Were they different buttons for a full reset? Let me see if I can find any and you can tell me if they're the same that you already tried.

Not a full reset- just button combos to get into the advanced menu. The ones I tried were for the 7600 stylus pro. (Hold left, up down buttons while turning on)
And (hold paper feed, cut and paper set while turning on). When I did this I just got the same "replace maintenance tank screen" as before.
Even with a full reset, it is the chip on the tank with the info, right? I'd like to resolve this today as I need to make prints to send out by tomorrow.

Thank you for attempting secure remote service, but I don't want to do that unless I think there is something I can fix remotely by logging into your machine.

Is this the one you tried?

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-reset-an-epson-maintenance-tank

When you tried the up down and left button while powering on, and you got to the advanced settings, did you see the "Clear Counters" option?

I tried that site, yes. I just got the replace tank screen again.

Did you see the Clear Counters option in the menu? I see where you said you unlocked the advanced menu, just not sure what you saw after that?

Someone else may attempt to assist you with remote assistance, if they do they will see what we've discussed here.

Nah forget remote asst. I accidentally tapped it. The only extra I got was a general maintenance menu: language, metrics, settings etc. No 'clear counter' option.

I have no way to turn off the remote assistance unfortunately, but hopefully they will see us discussing you are not interested. I see you say you didn't see the Clear Counter menu, but you did see the Advanced menu, or not even that one?

John, Computer Science Engineer