Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

490cw. How can I clean dried out printheads? Brother 490 cw…

Customer Question
Second opinion] 490cw. How...

Second opinion] 490cw. How can I clean dried out printheads?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

Brother 490 cw about 3years old not used for 4 mo

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Windows 10\

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Printer would not recognize a cartridge had ink

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Is it necessary to access directly the print heads and what is used to clean them

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
9/27/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 11 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
You should not try to clean printheads by hand. If it is a bad case, they have to be replaced, or the whole printer perhaps if that is preferable for any reason.

But you can try this: use the Cleaning function in your printer's Maintenance menu (usually found under the Setup menu, but depending on your printer's maker - HP, Canon, etc. - it can be elsewhere) or using that function found in the Maintenance tab of your printer's software on your computer.

Do as follows:

1. Clean the (black) printhead. (Again: not by hand. That can ruin it, quite simply.)
2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)
This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.
3. Clean the printhead a second time.
4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.
5. Clean the printhead a third time.
Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

Since I have not heard back from you, I am assuming that my answer was helpful and provided what you needed to help toward a solution.

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page. - A five-star rating would be appreciated. Thank you.

(If this didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will help and advise you as needed.)