Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Not printing dark enough. Mfc9120cn - about 5 years. Pc -

Customer Question
Not printing dark enough ...

Not printing dark enough

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

Mfc9120cn - about 5 years

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Pc - windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

About 6 months - probably about the time I upgraded to windows 10

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Printers
9/27/2017
Technician: Eric, Technician replied 10 months ago
Eric, Technician

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you today. I'll do all I can to provide you with excellent, 5-Star service. While I take a moment to read over your question, please read the following:

• The offers you see for Remote Assistance or Phone Calls are not me recommending them, it is this website. I am more than happy to accept a request for one if you wish, but you do not have to.
  • Please keep this browser open. If you close it, open your email to find links back to this question.
  • I will keep helping you until your question is answered, please ask as many follow up questions as you want to by replying below.

Good morning! There are two ways we can try to resolve this for you. Give me just a few moments to put together the information for you :)

ok
are you still there?

Please take two seconds to rate my service before you leave today at the top of this page or I am not credited with my assistance. It is my service you are rating and nothing else. If you feel my service has been anything but excellent, or you have follow up questions, please let me know before rating :)

Bookmark this link to ask me questions directly in the future: http://bit.ly/AnswersByEric

ENHANCING BLACK PRINTING:

1. Click your Start button
  2. Start typing Control Panel until you see the option, select it to view the Control Panel
  3. Select Hardware and Sound
  4. Select Devices and Printers
  5. Right click on the Brother printer and choose Printer Properties
  6. On the Basic tab, choose Settings, which will be right under the print quality and color options.
  7. On this screen, enable(put a check mark in the box) for Enhance Black Printing
  8. Click OK

ADJUST THE CONTRAST

1. From the screen you were on in step 8 above, click Settings to open the Custom Settings dialog
  2. You can now adjust the Contrast and test print, until you find the contrast you want.

If neither of those help, you need to try and clean the printer (run its self clean mode a few times). There is no other way to adjust the darkness of the printing other than above. The rest is controlled automatically.

I do not have a "settings" option. I have a "adjust print options" but when I select it, there is no enhance black printing boxRight click on the Brother printer and choose Printer Properties
On the Basic tab, choose Settings, which will be right under the print quality and color options.
On this screen, enable(put a check mark in the box) for Enhance Black Printing

Do you know if you ever installed all the Brother drivers and software? If not, you may be missing the advanced drivers, which would have those options.. it also might be why your printing is not dark enough.

You mention that you upgraded to Windows 10 and that seems to be when it started, yes? If so, I can provide you with the details/instructions to remove and re-add the printer in Windows 10 properly.

please do

Alright, we're just going to take the best approach to this to resolve any and all of your issues all at once. Please take two seconds to rate my service before you leave today at the top of this page. Remember it is my service you are rating and nothing else. If you feel my service has been anything but excellent, or you have follow up questions, please let me know before rating :)

1. Unplug the printer from your PC
  2. Press the Start/Windows button on your keyboard
  3. Start typing Printer
  4. Choose Printers & Scanners
  5. Click on your printer in the list
  6. Choose to Remove Device (yes, completely)
  7. Now open the Control Panel (press start/windows and type control panel)
  8. Uninstall ALL Brother printing programs one at a time
  9. Reboot your PC
  10. Download this updated program from Brother
  11. After it downloads, right click on it and choose Run As Administrator
  12. During the installation, follow all the prompts
  13. After it installs, reboot your PC again
  14. Test the printer/scanner