Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My cannon mp405 printer will not power up. This is the first…

Customer Question
My cannon mp405 printer...

My cannon mp405 printer will not power up

Technician's Assistant: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

No, this is the first time it is doing this. This is about 3 or 4 years old

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I was using this alright the day before yesterday

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Printers
9/26/2017
Technician: Richard, Technician replied 10 months ago
Richard, Technician

Hi there and welcome

Do you see any lights showing on the printer at all?

Or nothing shows with the power connected?

Please let me know

thank you

no lights or anything

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2012 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet

wait 5 minutes

press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds

keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Thank you

You're welcome

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you