Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an error code 5100 - I was just reading the answer…

Customer Question
I have an error...

I have an error code 5100 - I was just reading the answer online about cleaning the printer cartridges... should I try that?

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?

Canon MX3300

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

I'm just printing manually right now - I'm try9ing to print copies of a script manually...

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Nothing...actually I can't remember - I don't use it very often...

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I cleaned the cartridge heads and put them back and still getting an 5100 error message - as I said I'm just trying to copy pages manually - not hooked up to a computer. I see no paper jam or anything wrong but it won't print...it says to see the manual. I've tried unplugging obviously and re-plugging...

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
9/26/2017
Technician: Josh, Technician replied 11 months ago
Josh, Technician

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

The error code 5100 can mean a couple of things:

The ink tanks are not seated properly

Paper is jammed in the printer somewhere

The printer needs to be reset

OK - I've looked for a paper jam - don't see anything.
I cleaned/wiped the printer cartridge heads and re installed themStill getting the error message.

How old is the printer?

I don't know - I used it successfully for years - it has always been reliable. where would I find that information?

It only matters if it is over a year old and it sounds like it is.

Unfortunately, the error that you are experiencing is an internal failure which would require repair/replacement. The bad news is that your printer is outside of warranty and it would cost more to repair the printer than to buy a new one. You can purchase a new one for around $50-$60 at a local electronics store such as Best Buy.

OK - I hate getting new things when old ones work but WTH.Signing off
The maddening thing is that I just replaced the cartridges and they are very expensive, too

I completely understand! I apologize that I had to be the messenger in this bad news situation.

You should be able to return the cartridges to the store with your receipt.

Please use the star rating at the top to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so that I am credited with helping you.

I dont know how to credit a person who just told me to buy a new printer - I could have figured that out myself!Really?I could have gotten that information from the neighbors.

I apologize but I can only respond to the question that comes in -- I am sorry that you feel my information could be found by someone else or yourself but I am limited to your issue. Unfortunately, sometimes there are bad news type situations and we do not receive credit unless we receive a positive rating so we do not like to ever deliver bad news.

Technician: Josh, Technician replied 10 months ago

I am checking back up on you about your issue. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.