Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Using the ADF to copy a document, the cassete feeds out copy

of the document with a...
Using the ADF to copy a document, the cassete feeds out copy of the document with a bold 1/8 inch line down full sheet of paper
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Cannon MX882 bought 7/8/2011
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: HP Pavillion with 7/64 bit processor
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Problem started recently and only shows on Auto feeder on top. Word doc from computer .doc files are fine. Full page scan on Glass scan are okay
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I put the file to be copied in the ADF scan and it comes out with stripe down left side. Check page and margin setup.
9/25/2017
Sudipto, Engineer

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP

Do you face this same problem, when you print from the PC?

no

OK, make a copy by placing the document on the platen glass and let me know, what happens?

copy came out good
only happens with the adf feeder. copy comes out with bold line down left side of paper.

Ok, so you are only facing this problem when you use the ADF, right?

Ok, wait.

Please open the link below and follow the steps to clean the ADF then, let me know how it goes for you?

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART110474&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1506377880678

problem still there

When a vertical line (top to bottom) is produced only when using the feeder (ADF) of your laser product, the issue would actually be due to a small mark or debris on the scanning glass area that sits directly under the left panel cover of the ADF. This occurs because as the paper feeds through the ADF and across the scanning area, every inch of the paper passes over the small mark which gets picked up by the scanner. This then produces what looks like a line. However, thorough cleaning can resolve the issue.

You can clean the platen glass and the underside of the ADF by following the procedure below.

1. Turn OFF the Main Power Switch and disconnect the power cord.

2. Open the ADF.

3. Clean the ADF scanning area on the left side of the platen glass and the same area on the lid (the area that would touch the scanning area when the lid is down) with a cloth dampened with water. You will want to carefully and fully clean the glass in the ADF scanning area. Look for scratches, tiny spots and marks of any sort. If marks are noticed, you may have to clean the platen glass up to three times or more depending on what created the mark (i.e.. correction fluid, pen ink). You can use a soft lint-free cloth either dry, with glass cleaner or water to clean the glass and may have to scrub until it squeaks to remove certain types of marks.

NOTE: Please spray the cloth with the cleaning solution and not the glass.

Another way to ensure the mark is removed is to use a credit card by placing in on an angle and sliding it across the glass in one direction. The plastic of the card will not scratch the glass. You can then lift the credit card when reaching the end of the glass and return to the other side to slide it across again. Then wipe the area with a soft, dry cloth.

4. Close the ADF.

5. Reconnect the power cord and turn ON the Main Power Switch.

Caution: Be careful not to get your fingers caught.

After cleaning the glass, run 4-5 blank/clean pages through to test it. If the thin black line still appears, please try cleaning the scanning area again as a mark on the glass is the only cause for this. If the issue persists, there may be a scratch on the glass which would require service.

problem solved.

Thanks, ***** ***** me know if you need any further information otherwise, please remember to give a positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.

Sudipto, Engineer
Sudipto, Engineer