Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

NOthing is going on....that's the problem 7640-e. Nothing…

Customer Question
NOthing is going on....that's...

NOthing is going on....that's the problem 7640-e. Nothing happens when I touch fax, scan, print.

Technician's Assistant: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

HP Envy 7640-e. 4 years

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Mac Yosemite 10.10.5

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Yesterday I was having trouble faxing out but was still receiving and copying. I might have punched some buttons...today it won't respond to touch

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
9/24/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2014 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Seems to be working again.... Can you tell me what al the symbols mean on the bottom of the display? There is no explanation in the book.
yoohoo,,,,,

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

I'm glad to hear it is working again for you.

I'm not sure which symbols you mean, there are several, primarily for indicating the wifi connection, paper status, ink status, etc.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan. It still won't receive a fax. Could that be a setting?

It may be, is it able to send a fax?

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.