Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I used to be able to scan to a PDF, which showed up on my…

I used to be...

I used to be able to scan to a PDF, which showed up on my computer if it was turned on. Now the printer says "set pc to start scanning" but I don't know how to do that. Also, before there were two options to forward the scanned PDF: local and my computer. Now only "local" is there.

Technician's Assistant: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Pixma mg6120

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

I'm guessing 4 or 5 years old.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

ALso, a pc, windows 10.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

This change just occurred a few days ago, by the way. All was fine before that.

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician

I'm sorry about the issue. What happens when you try the Local option?

Are you able to use the MP Navigator EX program, if it's there, on your computer in order to do scanning?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Is the printer connected to the computer with a USB Cable? Or is the connection wireless?

It looks like you are not there. We can schedule another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,

The printer is not connected to the computer but is connected to the modem. As for trying the local option, that is only for after the item is scanned and it won't even scan until I "set the printer to scan" which I don't know how to do and it never asked me to do that before in order to scan.

Thank you. Is printing currently working fine?

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me. Thank you.

printing is fine

Thank you. Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?

No. I don't want to do that.

With remote support, you can see everything I do on the screen, and we have an A+ service rating at the Better Business Bureau website:
http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403/
Remote support is quicker and easier for you as I will do all the troubleshooting steps for you. Also, this issue can be complicated. Otherwise, I will provide written instructions.
Do you see the program called the MP Navigator EX program on your computer? If yes, can you use that to do scanning?

How about with a small amount as shown for direct remote support?

Please let me know your option; we guarantee our service. Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

I understand but don't want to do that. Can you tell me what to do myself?

OK. Yes. Do you see the program called the MP Navigator EX program on your computer? If yes, can you use that to do scanning?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

where do I find MP Navigator EX?

Click on Start (which is the windows logo icon at bottom left of your computer's screen), then scroll down the and check. If needed, see if the Canon Utilities item is there, and check.

I searched for MP Navigator EX and it opened something that seems to have lots of PDFs in it.

Did you see / open the program called MP Navigator EX?

It will be a lot easier and quicker for me to troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer's screen for you while you are watching. Otherwise, I will continue to provide instructions. Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

It looks like MP Navigator EX is open and it's a bunch of PDF files. It is in the Explorer section, where all the files are located.

Is the MP Navigator EX a program or a folder? If it's a program, is there a Scan option there?

I guess it's a folder.

OK. Please click on the Canon website below:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mg-series/pixma-mg6120?subtab=downloads-software

, then there, scroll down, and SELECT / DOWNLOAD the item called MP Navigator EX Ver. 4.03 (Windows 10/10 x64/8.1/8.1 x64/8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP)

, then run / install it.

, then open the MP Navigator EX program icon on your computer's Desktop screen, then see if you can use it to do scanning.

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

OK i'll try that

Please take your time, then let me know the result; I will help further as needed. Thank you for your patience.

Sorry, I need to give up for now. The MP Navigator thing did not seem to work. Thanks for you help so far. What annoys me is that until a few days ago I had no problem scanning documents on that printer and sending them to my computer. All of a sudden this problem cropped up and it's very annoying.

I'm sorry. Is there any error or message when scanning in the MP Navigator EX program?

We can continue another time when you are available. Also, I can also fix this issue remotely anytime if you'd like to.

Please get back to me when you can. Thank you for your patience.

How do I get back to you? I did note you have an excellent 5-star rating.

I've emailed you (from JustAnswer / Viet). Did you receive my email messages?

many

Great. You can always click on the View response / reply link in my latest email message anytime in order to get back to me at this web page. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service today by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top right of this page, then click on Submit on the right. Thank you very much for your patience,

Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician