Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

I've got a new epson xp-640 that won't update the firmware.

i've got a new epson xp-640 that won't update the firmware. I'm trying to find out if it's in recovery mode. the epson.com site is no help at all
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I bought it last month. it is an Epson XP-640
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC running Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has been an issue this hour. Used it on the road with a laptop. Ran fine. Brought it home. Setting it up this past hour. Setup program says there's new firmware to download and install. Says don't turn off or disconnect. I don't. At 85% complete the Epson firmware update program says there is a problem and I must "check to see if the printer is in 'recovery mode' "
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, the status panel on the printer just came on.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is the printer connected to the computer with a USB cable? Or is the connection wireless?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
connected by USB

Thank you. Are you currently able to make a copy from the printer's glass (not printing from the computer)?

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
that's working now

Thank you. On your computer, please click on the website below in order to connect with me remotely, then I can help you directly:

http://tinyurl.com/y7zacrhk
, then allow the Elsinore.ScreenConnect program to download/run/open when prompted at the bottom.
Note: If it does not connect within 5 minutes, then please reply at the box below and let me know. Thank you,

I have resolved the issue via remote support. If you need help with anything else, please come back any time. Thank you very much.