Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

When plugged in there are black squares in the window, even…

When plugged in there...

When plugged in there are black squares in the window, even when hitting menu it will not change. will not scan or anything else. When trying to install to computer it will not go past the plug in printer part of the install.

Technician's Assistant: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Brother DCP-L2420DW and was purchased April 30 2015

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC, Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It was shipped from one place to another

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I know

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Richard, Technician

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

All is still the same

How is it connecting to the computer?

Via wireless or a USB cable?

usb, it is on another computer. I have tried it on one other computer also.

Ok so on multiple computers it is not installing?

This will tell me if the printer is the issue here

it get to where it says to turn on printer and plug usb, it will not go any further

Thanks

Remove the toner from the printer then power it off and remove the power from the power socket

Use a lightly damp cloth and wipe the inside where the toner goes in

Let it dry for 10 minutes, put the toner back in, power it on and try to connect to it

If it fails, switch the toner with a new one and try to connect again

Let me know the results please

Thank you

all is still the same

Thanks

It is the internal mainboard that has faulted, this now confirms it as we have ruled out all other causes for this

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Richard, Technician