Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My mfc-j345w wireless printer is on the network, but my

Customer Question
My mfc-j345w wireless printer...

My mfc-j345w wireless printer is on the network, but my computer will not print to it. Have the latest driver that I downloaded and installed. It sometimes shows and requests a wps pin, which I can not find. If I try to add it manually with IP address it still will not connect. FYI I do not have access to the router.

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

You

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Just added this to the network.

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Printers
9/22/2017
Technician: arsufi2002, Technician replied 12 months ago
arsufi2002
arsufi2002, Technician

Hello and welcome to Justanswer.

My name is ***** ***** I am sorry to hear that you have this issue. I look forward to assist you today with your question and provide the best solution possible.

Please save this page to favorites( ctrl + d) so that you can reconnect in case you get disconnected.

You told that your printer is connected to the network. How is it connected? Wireless or wired?

wireless

I am just curious how you came to know that its connected to the wireless network

because I have the ip address and the printer has printed that it is connected
Node type: Brother MC-260w, IEEE 802.11b/g/n

I don't think its properly connected, or else it will not ask for the WPS pin.

Anyways, can you tell me the model no of the printer. Is it j345w or j435w?

MFC-J435w

Did you connect it to the wifi using the inbuilt panel on the printer or use the software that you got with the printer?

panelit printed out a report:
Network Name (SSID) - RiversideRange
Mac address listed
Communication Mode - Infrastructure
Authentiction Type - WPA/[email protected]
Encryption AES
Network Channel - 6

We will try to setup the network once more.

Do you know the password ***** your wifi network?

I have reset it up three times already.

In that case lets try it with the printer software.

Do you have a USB cable which we can use to setup the wireless network?

You can remove the cable one the network is setup.

If it lists an IP address, it is connected because the router issues the ip via DHCP - which the network configuration report printed.No usb connection to this printer. It is wireless.

Did you try pinging the ip address?

it responded.

Did it ask you to select the authentication type?

The printer or computer?

The printer, when you were setting up the network

NO. When the windows 10 computer found the printer - the computer system requested a wps pin number that was to be on the printer, which was not on a label anywhere. FYI manual was lost by the range.
The connection report states that the authentication type is WPA/WPA2-PSK

WPS can be setup only if your wireless router supports it.

As previously stated, I do not have access to the router. Thus I assume you can not give me an answer to correct the problem.

Where is the router located?

In a locked room which I do not have access to.
I need to leave for work. Will work on this issue at a later time.

Okay. Let me know when you can be online so that we can continue

Have no idea right now, have other customers to handle. If and when I can I will look for your name.

You can save this chat link for future correspondence.